Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The JDM engine that I bought has a dent in the pan(looks like when shipped) so I plan on using the old one which has some surface rust on it after 9 years/170K miles...figured since it's out why not clean/paint it so I never have problems there.

Not sure if I have ever seen etching hI-Temp primer, I'll have to stop by the auto store on the way home tonight.

use an etch primer (hi temp ) and any old hi temp paint in a can will work well , any particular reason you want to paint a part that will never be seen ?

cheers mate blair

Duplicolor makes some good stuff.I like their hight temp stuff(rated at over 1000deg F)Just use their high tem primer and then the high temp color you choose.Then if you want you can hit it with some high temp clear.I have done this on ea81 valve covers and oil pans and it seems to be pretty durable.I would just recomend scuffing the surface up with steel wool or a green scotchbrite pad prior to paint.