Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can some one describe what the Fuel pump relay looks like?

Just what the title says. I fixed the fan switch today, now I think the fuel pump has quit on me. Let me see if I am right, brown in color with six wires coming out of it? This is for a 90 Legacy wagon. The damn thing started last night, now nothing. As far as I can tell the pump is not making any noise...... Thanks again everyone. Mark

[...]I fixed the fan switch today, now I think the fuel pump has quit on me. [...]The damn thing started last night, now nothing. As far as I can tell the pump is not making any noise...... Thanks again everyone.

You're welcome, I'm glad that you were able to fix the blower problem with my help in this post :) :

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=505311

You could go to the same link in that post, but this time refer to fig. 20 . Note that if either the 15A fuse (through which the pump relay coil gets power) or the 30A fusible link (through which the relay contacts get power) are open, you'll have neither fuel nor spark. Perhaps during your efforts to repair the blower, one of those got blown/dislodged/etc. Under any circumstance, with the diagram you should be able to figure out what's going on. I hope that helps.

I just changed the fuel pump on my 97 Legacy wagon, pull the line off at the filter and then turn engine over if no fuel is coming out then unplug elc. connector at the fuel pump and see if you have current. Check it with a dig. meter it dont need to be 12 volts. If you have current then turn key off while you have the cover off. Have someone else turn key on if you here no noise from pump you need to replace it. If you have no current then the relay is under the center panel under steering wheel at least it is in mine. Fuel pump from O' Reillys cost me about 80.00 dollars, It is more easy to get the whole unit from junk yard and replace it that way. I had to change the wires and the rubber seat with the one from O'Reillys but they do have these needed parts in the box with the pump. Be careful when turning engine over with fuel line off, you may want to add a line long enough to run over the fender to keep it away from the engine.

Just what the title says. I fixed the fan switch today, now I think the fuel pump has quit on me. Let me see if I am right, brown in color with six wires coming out of it? This is for a 90 Legacy wagon. The damn thing started last night, now nothing. As far as I can tell the pump is not making any noise...... Thanks again everyone. Mark

My fuel pump relay went out on an 05 it was brown about an inch square and had 6 terminals on the back The car would start for a few seconds if I sprayed starter fluid in the air intake. The dealer said they started the engine by tapping on the relay it sounds like Subaru plays hide the relay the location of mine was behind the glove box in a block of 4 relays.

I am going to take the fuel pump relay to a shop to have it tested. Tonight if I can get a few moments I'll get to the fuel pump and check on that with a multimeter. While the relay is getting tested I'll get some 2+2 and see if the engine will start on that.

You're welcome, I'm glad that you were able to fix the blower problem with my help in this post :) :

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=505311

You could go to the same link in that post, but this time refer to fig. 20 . Note that if either the 15A fuse (through which the pump relay coil gets power) or the 30A fusible link (through which the relay contacts get power) are open, you'll have neither fuel nor spark. Perhaps during your efforts to repair the blower, one of those got blown/dislodged/etc. Under any circumstance, with the diagram you should be able to figure out what's going on. I hope that helps.

I found Fuse link SBF2 bad. I swapped the link from SBF1 in it's place, Still no start. Let me guess, you need SBF1 also to make the engine run.

I found Fuse link SBF2 bad. I swapped the link from SBF1 in it's place, Still no start. Let me guess, you need SBF1 also to make the engine run.

As far as I know, SBF1 protects the power windows and door locks circuit; I don't think it would cause a no-start if removed. I suppose you should check the link you moved to SBF2 position and make sure it's still okay. Obviously, if it's now also open, there's a short somewhere on that line. I assume you checked fuse 16 as well.

As far as I know, SBF1 protects the power windows and door locks circuit; I don't think it would cause a no-start if removed. I suppose you should check the link you moved to SBF2 position and make sure it's still okay. Obviously, if it's now also open, there's a short somewhere on that line. I assume you checked fuse 16 as well.

Yeah, I pulled all the little buggers just to check. Fuse 16 runs the Fuel pump? The owners manual I have is REALLY vague. I have the back seat up ready to start checking that circut when I get home tonight.

I think an investment in a shop manual is a step soon to be attempted.

Yeah, I pulled all the little buggers just to check. Fuse 16 runs the Fuel pump? The owners manual I have is REALLY vague. I have the back seat up ready to start checking that circut when I get home tonight.

I think an investment in a shop manual is a step soon to be attempted.

Hey everyone I got it running!!!! Replaced the fused link from position one to position 2 and held my foot to the floor. Littlebugger was flooded!!! It runs like a champ now. Just got to get another fused link tommorow to replace the old one I borrowed and should be back in shape. Thanks to everyone here!!!!! Mark