Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Something I did NOT need to know

A somewhat shocking tidbit from Wikipedia:

In the television series The L Word, lesbian tennis player Dana Fairbanks is sponsored by Subaru. Indeed, Subaru has gained a reputation as "the lesbian car brand" in the United States, featuring such lesbian icons as Martina Navratilova in one ad and having a car driven by two women with a large dog in the back seat with the license place "XENALVR" in another.

In addition, the Subaru Outback and Subaru Legacy were voted numbers 1 and 2, respectively, by Car Talk listeners as "the ultimate gay chick cars of all time".

Does anybody find this to be true?

In the television series The L Word, lesbian tennis player Dana Fairbanks is sponsored by Subaru. Indeed, Subaru has gained a reputation as "the lesbian car brand" in the United States, featuring such lesbian icons as Martina Navratilova in one ad and having a car driven by two women with a large dog in the back seat with the license place "XENALVR" in another.

In addition, the Subaru Outback and Subaru Legacy were voted numbers 1 and 2, respectively, by Car Talk listeners as "the ultimate gay chick cars of all time".

Subaru has been marketing to the "gay community" for well over a decade. They were one of the first major car companies to advertise in gay orientated publications. It's a fact, the Legacy is known as a lesbian car of choice. Of course my Forester runs on high octane testosterone. And the fine chick in the passenger seat wouldn't have it any other way. Word.

Now that comment may have been a little overboard.

Still, its not exactly a big plus to the ego knowing you are a man driving "the ultimate gay chick car of all time"

Edit- there is definately a difference between it being the "lesbian car of choice" and the the other title given to it.

In some cases that is totally true when you go to a certain area like: Boulder,Co and see quite a few of them driving around and I am not just making this up cause they usually display things very openly.Or if you are in Alaska and you are in Homer it is nearly the same case.

Doesn't everyone in Alaska wear a plaid shirt?

[...]Still, its not exactly a big plus to the ego knowing you are a man driving "the ultimate gay chick car of all time"

Edit- there is definately a difference between it being the "lesbian car of choice" and the the other title given to it.

No matter the "title", if any guy's sense of self is threatened by this, I guess he could always go buy a Hummer :rolleyes: . I think I'll keep my OB and ignore any possible implications :) .

Out here in U-Tah all the Mountain Women have Subarus. :banana:

I haven't seen the latest list, but there are cars that show up on multiple lists. I think the S-10 was once a top lesbian and straight guy car.

At least it's not like the simpsons where Homer buys a a big Canyonaro SUV to bolster his male ego- only to find out he bought the LS or the "chick car" version where the cigg lighter was replaced with a tube of lipstick.

So I'll continue to buy Subarus until they decide to substitue the parking brake for a double dilldo holder.

ARE U JOKING!! ok my subaru legacy is going to the dump tommorow, i cant be in a car for gays? I hate gays!!! leave canada!!! OH GOD!! why did u post this? Are u joking, im going to get the bastard who decided to do this!!!:mad::mad:!! My legacy attract hot chicks!!! NOT A *** !!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::mad: HELP!!! anyone here gay, if not then this is all bull****!!! AWWW !!! Lesbians are ok, the hot ones, but gay's? !!! WHAT!! NO!! OUT OF SUBARU!! NOW!! I feel better now that i let that all out!

Hate to tell you this, but its been a known thing for at least ten years... here in the north east we call foresters lesbian cars.

Not to start a political war, and i wont respond so lets not start one, but they are a small mfg and need a niche market, and arent stupid :) .

nipper

I haven't seen the latest list, but there are cars that show up on multiple lists. I think the S-10 was once a top lesbian and straight guy car.

At least it's not like the simpsons where Homer buys a a big Canyonaro SUV to bolster his male ego- only to find out he bought the LS or the "chick car" version where the cigg lighter was replaced with a tube of lipstick.

So I'll continue to buy Subarus until they decide to substitue the parking brake for a double dilldo holder.

there is a really bad joke in here someplace ....

maybe thats why they got rid of the D/R trannies.....

think about it .....

nipper

here in the north east we call foresters lesbian cars

Does owning a Forester give one a strong urge to have a mullet? :D

Seriously though, I was thinking about this the other day, and more than half of my subie driving friends are girls/women...... F*#k the Vee Dub, I think Subaru is the true peoples car!

Hate to tell you this, but its been a known thing for at least ten years... here in the north east we call foresters lesbian cars.

Not to start a political war, and i wont respond so lets not start one, but they are a small mfg and need a niche market, and arent stupid :) .

nipper

Did you know: Up to recently, when they became financially unstable, GM held a 20% share of Subaru. I am glad they're out, go Subaru!

John:banana: