Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL Auto 4WD not shifting into 3rd ( overdrive )

I just purchased the above car and all gears work well except it worn't shift into 3rd gear

it shifts into second at 3500 RPM and about 35 MPH

but will not shift again @ 75 mph and 4000 RPM I don't want to push it and break something

AT transmission Fluid is at appropriate level

The diff level looks low.

Are there any adjustment to be done w/o taking it out ?

Very limited on $$

Do a search for "governor".

I just purchased the above car and all gears work well except it worn't shift into 3rd gear

it shifts into second at 3500 RPM and about 35 MPH

but will not shift again @ 75 mph and 4000 RPM I don't want to push it and break something

AT transmission Fluid is at appropriate level

The diff level looks low.

Are there any adjustment to be done w/o taking it out ?

Very limited on $$

are you really sure that it really isnt shifting into 3rd? there is no overdrive on that tranny, only the 4-speed ones have overdrive - 75mph and 4,000-4,500 RPMs sounds normal to me - try counting your shifts carefully - you should only have two shifts (1-2, 2-3) - a friend had one and found highway driving rather anoying with it, as there really is no overdrive

incidentally - no, you wont break anything crusing at that speed and RPM

governor check, fluid change are a very good idea anyway as that tranny must have clean fluid

the factory service manuals are EXCELLENT - and they are not too bad $$ wise on ebay for what they are worth

here is the article on the govenor gear http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/USRM2/Transmission/Governor/ATgovenorclean.htm

are you really sure that it really isnt shifting into 3rd? there is no overdrive on that tranny, only the 4-speed ones have overdrive - 75mph and 4,000-4,500 RPMs sounds normal to me - try counting your shifts carefully - you should only have two shifts (1-2, 2-3) - a friend had one and found highway driving rather anoying with it, as there really is no overdrive...
4000 actually sounds too low for 75mph. 3200-3600 at 60mph is normal.

Really Wow It did not sound like the car was working hard (reving) but i never have had a car travel / cruise at that high of RPM

It is not working hard... it is just spinning faster than you expect. The engine has a really short stroke, and all things being equal (which they are not) would happily spin to 8000-9000rpm.

Engine speed at cruise is not that unusual, especially for similar-era Japanese cars. My Datsun 510 would do 3000+rpm at 60MPH.