Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for a stereo for the subaru!

Well the stereo in the car right now is 13years old, and its time for a new one. Something that looks cool, something that is plug-in-play ish, and cool, also need a aux connector. So im looking for something that is the same size as the oriniginal radio, which isnt the normal size off a radio, and im not crazy about getting those dash kits for the smaller radio, just looking for a upgrade radio, that is about the same size as the original. Ill post a pic in a few.

3 months too late. Had one like that from my 90 Legacy LS I threw out 3 months ago when cleaning out my garage. It was removed when the l

Legacy was a year old to install a CD/Casette/AM/FM Jenson unit.

Sorry, it sat for over 13 yrs in the same spot....now gone !!

Well the stereo in the car right now is 13years old, and its time for a new one. Something that looks cool, something that is plug-in-play ish, and cool, also need a aux connector. So im looking for something that is the same size as the oriniginal radio, which isnt the normal size off a radio, and im not crazy about getting those dash kits for the smaller radio, just looking for a upgrade radio, that is about the same size as the original. Ill post a pic in a few.

Hi:

If you want a free ( like new) set of speakers, email me. I am upgrading from my Boston ('6 1/2 in front doors ) to Polk Audio. These two year old boston speakers work fine, but really need an amp as they lack bass and midrange.

You will only need to send a prepaid mailing Box.

John

email is john36iowa@yahoo.com

Hi:

If you want a free ( like new) set of speakers, email me. I am upgrading from my Boston ('6 1/2 in front doors ) to Polk Audio. These two year old boston speakers work fine, but really need an amp as they lack bass and midrange.

You will only need to send a prepaid mailing Box.

John

email is john36iowa@yahoo.com

Well, i might but, whats the rms? and max power?

I don't know threw out all the litterature( except receipt) awhile back; I think they're in the upper range and they cost $ 100.00.

John

$100 for BA speakers!? Wow, either they are very low end or they were used. BAs have great sound quality!

Another aspect you have to look at ericem is the sound quality and price point. For quality, look at Nakamichi or perhaps Eclipse. The Nakamichi boasts 24 bit DACs, so be ready to mate it with very clean amplifier(s) and speakers. For all the bells and whistles, many Eclipse models have modules for extra connectivity (iPod) and built in Mp3, WMA, etc. The CD5425 is a fairly inexpensive unit and will take care of your input needs. As for making it fit in the oversize H/U space, you will probably have to purchase an adapter no matter what brand/model you choose. I know Alpine makes some oversize models, but am not sure which.

What you have is a 1.5 DIN size stereo; as they were kind of rare, you won't have much of a selection when it comes to finding an exact fit. Do a search on eBay for "1.5 din" and you will see what I mean. That said, any single din size radio will fit in with an adapter and give you all the features you want for less money, so you will have to ask yourself what is more important: how the stereo looks in the dash or how it sounds/does what you want it to do.

Shoot, but i was thinking off something more fancy.

If you're looking for fancy, why not take out the little cubby hole underneath the current radio (assuming it's DIN sized) and relpace it with a radio with a flip out screen. Then you keep the the cubby hole cover and mount it ontop of your new radio whenever you leave the car so any theif would only see an odd-ball sized radio not worth stealing.

all these new stereo's have all the plug n play gizmos's youre looking for like ipod adapter, XM, or even Nav. plus you could put a cool screen saver like "finding nemo" on the screen. So you get your "cool" stereo and it's got the benefit of being almost theft proof.

If you're looking for fancy, why not take out the little cubby hole underneath the current radio (assuming it's DIN sized) and relpace it with a radio with a flip out screen. Then you keep the the cubby hole cover and mount it ontop of your new radio whenever you leave the car so any theif would only see an odd-ball sized radio not worth stealing.

all these new stereo's have all the plug n play gizmos's youre looking for like ipod adapter, XM, or even Nav. plus you could put a cool screen saver like "finding nemo" on the screen. So you get your "cool" stereo and it's got the benefit of being almost theft proof.

I was thnking even larger then that, more like one big 5 inch screen and pull out the bottom compartment and the radio, and put in a gps/dvd/radio/cd player that is touch screen.

You know what there is alot off selection on ebay 15 or so, lol. But i see some other radio's that aren't name brand, this is what i found, whats a good choice, but not expensive.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=1.5+din

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&satitle=1+1%2F2+din&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=L6A+2A3&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1

i know you said your not crazy about install kits for smaller radios..but i didn't need one with my install.only thing is that i had something to mount below cd player cause other wise,i would have had a hugh opening..

new_kenwood.JPG (dang flash glare)

can't remember where i got that compartment though...think it was from my 93 leg.

the kenwood fit right in useing stock brackets.just needed wiring harness and a little trim around the trim molding to allow the face to flip.

Ericem, with that system, you have the 2" compartment under the radio. with most modern systems you need to get the 3" compartment to retain the look of the original installation. This pocket is available from Subaru, and perhaps other places as well.

There are several units that have the front AUX port available, also quite a few that have other features (DVD, NAV, XM, USB input, whatever you want really)

*%^&$^%#^&$&(*^*(^

why cant i post anything but a miserablly small picture here?

i have a pionner premire stero. I also bought a Harmon Kardon ipod controller which works really well and looks good on the dash. i got it on ebay for 70.00 with shipping.

Can somone private me and tell me how to post anything bigger then a thumbnail please

nipper