Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

I am looking into an older, 1990 or 1993, legacy wagon AWD as a daily driver/winter vehicle while my SHO gets some work done. My question is what is typically the life span on these engines? I know any properly maintained engine will last a while, but just curious as to what you all have found. One I found is 140xxx miles, another is a little over 200xxx miles.

Thanks

Hi all,

I am looking into an older, 1990 or 1993, legacy wagon AWD as a daily driver/winter vehicle while my SHO gets some work done. My question is what is typically the life span on these engines? I know any properly maintained engine will last a while, but just curious as to what you all have found. One I found is 140xxx miles, another is a little over 200xxx miles.

Thanks

We have a 1992 Legacy. It has 235000 Miles on it. It runs great doesn't use a drop of oil. Has been to hell and back!!!! The 2.2L is bullet proof. Don't let the mileage scare you. They are an amazing car.

They can last probably to 500k if u ask me, i have seen some people with 600k and still going strong. If u drive it hard, and do proper maintenance, id say 400k is safe. Lets here from others. I have 283,000km on my 93 legacy and it feels exactly like day one! ANd 2.2l engines are bulletproof, hte 2.5l is crap.

227K on my '93 AWD wagon. It uses a quart of oil in 2k miles, and it squeaks a little bit in the right rear suspension. It's still on the original clutch, the A/C is still cold and I did 110 mph for thirty miles continuously in it a couple years back (in case you're curious, it felt as though there was some more in the engine, and the car was very stable and unruffled at that speed). I would not hesitate to drive this car on a 500 mile road trip.

Anybody out there know how to Blow Taps on the Trumpet?:lol: (just kidding)

spark

227K on my '93 AWD wagon. It uses a quart of oil in 2k miles, and it squeaks a little bit in the right rear suspension. It's still on the original clutch, the A/C is still cold and I did 110 mph for thirty miles continuously in it a couple years back (in case you're curious, it felt as though there was some more in the engine, and the car was very stable and unruffled at that speed). I would not hesitate to drive this car on a 500 mile road trip.

i would imagine that 400,000 is the upper limit without the engine or tranny dying. Could be higher if the car is well maintained. Opposed engines run for ever since all the forces cancle themselves out, as long as you dont blow a HG. If the 200,000 mile one is cheap take that. Low mileage doesnt always mean less wear and tear, as soobies love to be driven.

nipper

Hi all,

Thanks

My 91 turbo sedan/5 spd. has 166K. The only other one in town is a 92 turbo sedan and he has over 300K on his with only routine maintenance. He said he has never even had a bulb burn out.

Mike

Because I live in a road-salt area I would personally pick the one with the best body of the two regardless of mileage (unless one of them doesn't run right or something). I think it's true that these old Legacys are long-lifers for the most part. My buddy gave up his 94 turbo wagon when the auto tranny starting failing... AT 470,000kms. I call that pretty damned respectable. :banana:

One telling point I think is that they are hard to find in Junkyards here unless they are wrecked or picked clean. I see people driving those 2.2s that should be shot for lack of auto maintence and they just keep leaking and putting along if they keep oil and water in them.

I think 350,000 to 400,000 should be upper limits, but some well cared for examples may beat that.

Hi all,

Thanks

My '91 LS has 165K and couldn't run better. My friend recently bought a '00 OWB LTD with 60K after his Pathfinder was totaled in a rear-end accident. We both would like to drive our vehicles until the day they die.

Find out what maintenance issues it has and you may discover that your SHO will not outlive your Legacy.

In 1990, the Legacy set a land speed record, travelling 68k miles in 18 hours travelling at 138MPH. The 2.2 is built to go the distance. Look how many VW bugs are still out there with the air-cooled boxer.

Just drove a 91 Legacy 2.2L FWD only(sigh) 5MT with 266Kmiles on the clock-doesn't use oil and biggest repairs ever were clutch and A/C. Goes about 50-100 miles most days as my wifes daily driver. Owned since 110K, plan on running at least till 300K unless get smacked by an idiot here. Is rustfree so body still in decent shape

Great. Thanks for the replies guys. I actually may be picking one up for a very very very low price (almost free) from a family member.

I know my SHO will not live forever, but it is my project/fun/show car. With the work I have planned for it, having a adily driver that is good on gas would just be nice. And seeing as it does not do well in the winter/snow, I wanted something AWD or 4WD. I use to have a 1992 s-10 Blazer as a winter beater and the thing ran perfect for 210,000 miles. Got inot an accident and did not feel like the truck was worth repairing as it was a rust bucket anyway. The Suburau popped into my head due to 4 cylinder gas mileage and AWD. So hopefully I will be picking up a AWD Legacy Wagon here in the next few weeks.

Another questions for those who can answer, and I am sure when I do a search I will find the answer. I know me, I cannot leave a car the way it is and just drive it. Regardless of it being my daily driver/fuel saver or not. Is the turbo setup on a completely different engine or is it something that can be bolted on to a non-turbo car?

Again, thansk for the replies guys.

Great. Thanks for the replies guys. I actually may be picking one up for a very very very low price (almost free) from a family member.

I know my SHO will not live forever, but it is my project/fun/show car. With the work I have planned for it, having a adily driver that is good on gas would just be nice. And seeing as it does not do well in the winter/snow, I wanted something AWD or 4WD. I use to have a 1992 s-10 Blazer as a winter beater and the thing ran perfect for 210,000 miles. Got inot an accident and did not feel like the truck was worth repairing as it was a rust bucket anyway. The Suburau popped into my head due to 4 cylinder gas mileage and AWD. So hopefully I will be picking up a AWD Legacy Wagon here in the next few weeks.

Another questions for those who can answer, and I am sure when I do a search I will find the answer. I know me, I cannot leave a car the way it is and just drive it. Regardless of it being my daily driver/fuel saver or not. Is the turbo setup on a completely different engine or is it something that can be bolted on to a non-turbo car?

Again, thansk for the replies guys.

if you want a turbo, its easier to buy a turbo car. The engine has dish shaped psitons to start with as one significant differnce. Also if you want long life, throwning a turbo on a non turbo car isnt going to make it happen.

nipper