Ultimate Subaru Message Board

if it's an automatic, change the ATF. it's an interference motor, so make sure the timing belt is on the newer side. if you don't know, then replace it. if it breaks for any reason, old, bad pulley bearing, water pump, etc it can cause major engine damage. great car, i've been thinking about getting a late 90's legacy GT sedan recently, i dig the looks of some of them.

look up 2.5 head gaskets issues. small chance of issues, but nice to know what to look for and what your options are ahead of time. search the forum here, lots of info on that and no need to start another thread about it.

ATF - Automatic Transmission Fluid. having fresh fluid does good things to your transmission, does well in preventing issues with the transfer clutches in the transmission (large job & $$$ to fix if you can't do it yourself). that and the timing belt and you should be golden.

hey everyone,

I'm new here and i've bought my first car. It's a 97 legacy gt. It looks cool has nice features and was very clean. I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with their 97 legacy or if anyone has a heads up on what i shoud expect?

how many miles on it ? a/t or man? i guess it's a/t. make sure the tires match and are properly inflated.

(there i said it, now nipper can rest his back.)

welcome to the club, they're great cars.