Ultimate Subaru Message Board

last motor mount nut won't come off EJ22

to get this EJ22 out of the car i have one motor mount nut to go on the drivers side. the head is rounded off and chiseled all to crap from me pounding on it. it's a parts car so anything goes to get this motor out.

i can reach one of the bolts that attach the motor mount to the engine block. the other is buried, does anyone know if i can access it by removing the steering rack? it's really close to the hole where the rack pokes through. if i can get to it i can leave the motor mount on the cross member when i pull the motor. everything else is unbolted....trans mounts, exhaust, everything but one bolt.

and i don't feel like taking the entire cross member off. one of those many bolts will likely give me the same problem. older EA82's are nice, the leak enough oil that there's usually little rust underneath!

Another PITA on Subarus.

I've done motor mounts on my Legacy, and thankfully haven't had to do it on the others I have.

You will likely have to get to the back bolts from the top of the car. You'll have to reach down and feel around for them, then once you get a socket wrench on there, it's a one-notch deal (you have room to move your wrench one notch in its ratchet mechanism :mad: ).

If this is a parts car, I'd just cut the bolt off the mount.