Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need to nail this down....

I've found a couple of transmissions for my 1990 Legacy, but they are from a car manufactured in 04/98 and 1996 (code #02ZABAA). Both were mated to a 2.2l engine (same as mine). When going through the car-part.com locator one year at a time from 1990-1998, it seems there was a revision as of 06/95 as it gives you an option to search up to 06/95 and from 06/95 for each of the various types of transmissions. Also, as of 06/95 there were 2 transmission codes for a 2.2L AWD AT (#TZ102Z2ABA and #TZ102ZABAA).

Can anyone clarify if either of these transmission would be a direct fit for my Legacy? I've called a couple of Subaru dealerships in my area and got the reply that 'someone in service may know, but they are busy' (which means I have to pay if I want the info). Any other info regarding which year of transmission would be a direct swap with mine would be appreciated!

it will be much less work / headache if you use the same year and model. if you search there's a thread about a similar swap and he had to change the wiring.

so the standard is, same year make and model, if not, at least get the tcu if not the differential.

i just put a 96 leg wagon 2.2L a/t into a 95 leg sedan 2.2L. no problems. but they were real close, and i have the whole car. 90 to 98 is a long shot. don't spend the money. find a pre 95 a/t.

search the for sale section.

its not gonna work without major wiring changes, the connectors at the top of the bell are completely different. and as of the search reults you spoke of was it just a couple numbers that matched? because even from one year to the next they almost never stay the same, there are a few numbers/letters reused such as the ones ending in AAAA