Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So how much seafoam should I run in the oil and for how long?

Thats just lame, seafoam will not eat ruber seals or parts. Thats a myth.

Why you ask, cause it big in the bike world and I have been down that road with the Virago. [folks have soak rubber parts in straight SF with no change.] But its not wet clutch safe [a clutch is just fibers glues together...]

So I have no experiance with it in oil.

But I have tons with gas.

Folks run half a can at a time in 3-5 gal of gas.

Virago's are full of rubber parts in the fuel system. Fuel pump is just a thin slice of rubber.

Two gas tanks; run through with heavy seafoam fixes so many funky problems. Always cheaper to spend $7 then to pull the carbs apart.

Now that we cleared up that myth how long do most folks run it to clean the lifters and junk?

Well anyways I did my own thing. When I got up today I let it run for a few mins, went for a drive around the block [country block]. Then let it sit and run some more as I dumped the rest of the can in. Few revs, nother min at idle then drained it immediately.

If anyone is still worried about me I did not plan this part but I did get hi mile oil that conditions seals n stuff. But it was just by chance I bought that. Was on sale. But there is no more cold start up lifter tick.

Changed the oil, trans fluid [3rd time this summer] and the rear end fluid.

Pull the rear drums and inspected everything. Trying to track down a funny noise that sounds like bad drums, like the pads were worn down. Or its just the typical tire noise. Its not my car so I don’t know how different it is.

. But its louder then normal she says and I can’t find anything wrong.

CVs n boots are all cool.

I am thinking about having the tires rotated tomorrow to see what happens.

I know someone is gonna ask why change tranny fluid 3 times? Well there is more then the 4-5 quarts in there that drains out. It’s cheap and I did it a few times to flush it well with new fluid.