Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi, i've got a new?? 1997 legacy L wagon and i noticed the light (s) are out in the heater control area of the dash (push button lights incl ac still light but nothing in fan knob area or any general illumination. i assumed there would be a bulb (s) of some sort so i stripped the dash out this a.m. and i have the control unit free (except the cable) and i cannot see any signs of a bulb to change......HELP

glenn

here's the link…

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2498&page=1&pp=10&highlight=climate+control+backlight

the instructions are pretty straightforward and have pictures. It just takes a little patience and most of a saturday afternoon. For what it's worth, I'm on my THIRD Legacy now and I've never had one with a set of climate control bulbs that worked. lol

Yeah, when I bought my 96 legacy, none of the bulbs were working. I just thought it was supposed to be dark. I went around for 2 or 3 years before I found out how to fix them. It was quite easy.

I still have some spare bulbs around, I bought them online from Mouser.com for a few cents each.

Matt D

i have a 98 legacy, the lights work UNDER the buttons, but the buttons themselves i dont think illuminate, at least from the outside the buttons seem to be solid and not opaque as to let light shine from the inside out? :banana:

That's what I thought too, but it was not the case. They are supposed to and do light up once the bulbs are fixed....

matt

hi, i've got a new?? 1997 legacy L wagon and i noticed the light (s) are out in the heater control area of the dash (push button lights incl ac still light but nothing in fan knob area or any general illumination. i assumed there would be a bulb (s) of some sort so i stripped the dash out this a.m. and i have the control unit free (except the cable) and i cannot see any signs of a bulb to change......HELP

glenn

Might sound dumb, but I thought mine were burnt out too. So I tried giving the contol panel a tap. I worked!!!! It lit right up :)

yeah those little bulbs are 4 bucks a peice.

Go to Radio Shack--much cheaper and some say they last longer too.

To answer someone else's question, the buttons do not have individual bulbs in them--they are a plexiglass type material and when depressed pick up light from a single source bulb.