Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MAF sensor cleaning...who'd a thunk!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, Just road my Bike to Autozone a few hours ago and picked this up!!

Is this the right stuff?????

Subarupix.007.jpg

And i only paid $4.99! This is all they had? They did have some other CRC eletric parts cleaner but dident buy that!! This was mentiond on here so i bought this insted! Was that a good move??

yep, that stuff should work just fine.

To clean it, just open the air box and look down the tube towards the intake. There will be a small opening to the side of the big hole. The wires you want to clean are in there. No need to actually take the MAF off the intake box/tube.

And yes, those connectors near the wiper should be unhooked normally.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/USRM2/mick-usrm/electrical/ecucodes.html

-Dave

Alright i'll try it tommorow becasuse it's raining now!:mad:

And i'm glad that mecanic did it right!! Because i couldent figure out whey my light was flashing!! Like right when you first start it up it'l be off but 3-4 min later the light start's doing a steady flash! Butn the can ran fine! That was in oct 06, Before i was a member on here! Plus i dident know to mush about Subaru's! Now's i'm learning pretty good!!

Thanx to all the great people on USMB!:)

yeah, they had that for $4.99 or the proper MAF cleaner for $7.99... the MAF cleaner can weighed less and cost more so I got the cheaper stuff... had a brain fart earlier!

cobcob,let me know how that goes.(HIJACK)also crawl under the rear of you wagon,look for a sticker on the rear diff. to see if your new wagon has a L.S.D. i CAN PROBABLY GET THAT 5SPD TURBO P/T D/R TRANS FOR YOU LOCAL.:burnout: :burnout:

my 85 rx has the flapper door type. do I remove it to clean or on the car?

The flapper door MAF is a different style completely, and does not have the hot wires this thread is talking about cleaning. I'm not even sure if the flapper door has any way/need to be cleaned.

The Loyale: if the light started flashing after a few minutes, that means it found no codes (yay!).

-Dave

Yeah that's what i kinda figured after driving it around for a while!!! I'kl just glade there was no problem!! And you should have seen how great it passed emission's:lol: :grin: I was so happy it passed the firest time! Now i don't think i'll have any truble anytime soon!

OK about my MAF i took the top of the air box off so i could see inside, Then i took the air intake hose off so there was only the airbox and MAF!! I looked inside the top of the air box and i saw a little hole and i looked in there and there are some little wire thing's! They look like somethng for a light bulb!

Is that the right part to squrt the cleaner in? I hope so because i did that last night around 5:30pm.. And after in all evaperated i put it all but together and fired it up! It ran a little strange for a minute or so but then she ran good! UI can't tell if it's better then before, But everything helps right!

So it's cool!!:)

cobcob,let me know how that goes.(HIJACK)also crawl under the rear of you wagon,look for a sticker on the rear diff. to see if your new wagon has a L.S.D. i CAN PROBABLY GET THAT 5SPD TURBO P/T D/R TRANS FOR YOU LOCAL.:burnout: :burnout:

How dop you know if you have a LSD?? Because mine says 3.900 gear Ratio! And that's it i think!! Did you know before i cleaned all the gooey stuff off my rear diff i dident know there was a sticker and i dident know it was aliuminm!! Now the Aluminum stick's out and really show's off the rear end!! Cool!!! PS: The bolt head's are still copper looking!!

im going to do a buddy system on this one. a buddy of mine has a 2000 chevy suburban he wants to try this on and im gonna use what he has left on my car. when i was telling him about this i said it may not work or it might ruin ur engine and he should check up on it. but hes all about restoring his engine to the factory power. I wipe my hands if he frys something

ben