Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the donor car i bought had alloy wheels and good michelen tires. my 95 leg sed had 80k michelens with about 30k miles on them. my son obviously wanted the alloys.

so how do i store the other tires to keep them from rotting? on the wheel or off the wheel, inflated or deflated or am i just wasting my time they'll rot anyway.?

the donor car i bought had alloy wheels and good michelen tires. my 95 leg sed had 80k michelens with about 30k miles on them. my son obviously wanted the alloys.

so how do i store the other tires to keep them from rotting? on the wheel or off the wheel, inflated or deflated or am i just wasting my time they'll rot anyway.?

how long are you gonna store them for?

i've always stored some of my tires on their sides (took up less space and they were off the wheels)

you could store them on their sides an deflated..

i've got 2 choices, sell them now, or store them till the ones on the car wear out. that's unknown. a year maybe more for storage. i've heard that tires today have a calendar life regardless how much you drive them. i hate to store them til they rot. and although i bought these, the ones on the car loook just as good. and swapping would cost what, 60$???

how long are you gonna store them for?

i've always stored some of my tires on their sides (took up less space and they were off the wheels)

you could store them on their sides an deflated..

i've got 2 choices, sell them now, or store them till the ones on the car wear out. that's unknown. a year maybe more for storage. i've heard that tires today have a calendar life regardless how much you drive them. i hate to store them til they rot. and although i bought these, the ones on the car loook just as good. and swapping would cost what, 60$???

I don't think a year of storage would be much of a problem, I've heard tires have a calendar life of around 10 years. Though I used the 17 year old spare that spent its life on top of an EA 82 once, for many miles without problems. I would think the most important thing in lengthening their life would be to keep the sun off of them. I believe UV rays probably do the most damage to rubber; this is why you often see RV-er's cover their tires when they are parked. It would probably also help to have them in a somewhat temperature controlled environment but for just a year I wouldn't worry too much about them.

This may not apply to your situation, but I change from all season to snow tires in the winter, and I store my tires inflated when not in use. I put them in my barn or garage and store them upright. I have not had any problems with the limited storage time (6 to 8 months.)

If you are storing them longer, I am not sure of the proper procedure, but I would think you would want to store them deflated, off the wheels, in a cool dry place, out of the sunlight.

Matt

((Drumroll)) And that decision is . . . ?!!

Yes, what was the decision?...

Well, since we don't know yet, I'll mention one other factor -- ozone. If you've decided to store the tires, keep them away from things that generate it, like electrical devices that arc or spark (some motors, welders, etc.).

One more thing; some "rubber protectants" can make the problem worse, since they can remove the waxes/polymers that are added to the rubber to protect against ozone.

i'm going to store them. i don't think the price for used will be worth the effort to sell and murffy's law says if i get rid of them i'll need them. i'll put them in the shed, deflated, stacked, off the ground and covered. oh yeah, i won't waste any money buying armorall to spray on them.

thanks.

Yes, what was the decision?...

Well, since we don't know yet, I'll mention one other factor -- ozone. If you've decided to store the tires, keep them away from things that generate it, like electrical devices that arc or spark (some motors, welders, etc.).

One more thing; some "rubber protectants" can make the problem worse, since they can remove the waxes/polymers that are added to the rubber to protect against ozone.

i'm going to store them. i don't think the price for used will be worth the effort to sell and murffy's law says if i get rid of them i'll need them. i'll put them in the shed, deflated, stacked, off the ground and covered. oh yeah, i won't waste any money buying armorall to spray on them.

thanks.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/tsb-112102.pdf#search=%22how%20to%20store%20tires%22

nipper

On the slicks used on race cars we know all to well how important proper storage is. The ideal thing is to put the tires into sealed black trash bags this will slow the outgassing and hardening of the rubber. Store in as stable tempratures as possible. On a street tire this will keep them fresh as long as you'd likely keep them. On our race rubber just 6 months of age decreases grip noticably. After a year though they still have rubber left but they're too hard to heat up and grip anymore.