Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a whirring noise coming from the fan that's driving me nuts!:eek:

For some strange reason it seems louder on the #1 setting.

Can someone please tell how I open up the fan and possibly blow out the dirt and dust that might be in there. I'd also like to lubricate it a bit too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

~Howard

:banghead:

I dont have a Forester but I would think remove elc. plug and then should just be a few bolts holding it in. Unless this is easy to get to I think I would just wait it out most likely it is a leaf that will break up and blow out.

I have a whirring noise coming from the fan that's driving me nuts!:eek:

For some strange reason it seems louder on the #1 setting.

Can someone please tell how I open up the fan and possibly blow out the dirt and dust that might be in there. I'd also like to lubricate it a bit too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

~Howard

:banghead:

Maybe a little compressed air blown around in there would break up what's in there if it is something. Not too much pressure though as you don't want cause more problems. Many things like that these days aren't really lubricatable because they have those little (or big) sealed bearings.

Is there anyway to blow some canned air in there WITHOUT taking the whole thing apart ?

~Howard

:cool:

The three Subaru's I have had lengthy experience with - 1992, 2000, 2006 - all have fans that make a subdued ticking noise, most obvious in the 1 and 2 position. I have tried cleaning the cylindrical fan in the 2000 car and it didn't help. I think it's just the noise they make.

If there's some sort of debris in there, you can often get it unstuck by setting the fan speed to maximum and then playing with the direction switch: Full wack on the windscreen, full on the center vents....back and forth.

The three Subaru's I have had lengthy experience with - 1992, 2000, 2006 - all have fans that make a subdued ticking noise, most obvious in the 1 and 2 position. I have tried cleaning the cylindrical fan in the 2000 car and it didn't help. I think it's just the noise they make.

If there's some sort of debris in there, you can often get it unstuck by setting the fan speed to maximum and then playing with the direction switch: Full wack on the windscreen, full on the center vents....back and forth.

You're 100% correct. It is a ticking noise and it is worse on the 1 & 2 positions. I guess it's something I have to learn to live with.

I'm just going to play the radio louder! :lol:

Thanks again for your help!

~Howard

:banana: