Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought a used 2001 Outback a year ago. It's winter green, and the paint along the driver's side is peeling. ( It had been covered up by the dealer...became apparent first time I hosed the car). Looks like sun damage. Does anyone know if there's a warrenty on the paint. Car currently has 65,000

Read on another thread to keep tyres inflated evenly to maintain AWD. The mannual says 30 front, 29 back. The tire guy (whom I've gone to forever )says 35 all round. Any more comments?

I get 29-32 mpg without air conditioning. Drops quite a lot with. Down to max 25mpg. Problem with air conditioning unit or normal?

Hello and welcome! Regarding the paint, are you sure that area wasn't repainted or had accident repair performed? I haven't heard a whole lot about paint peeling. Maybe some harsh chemical got on it?

For tire pressure, I usually go 1-2 psi above the plate on the door. The rear pressure can be a little higher if you're towing or have a lot of passengers or gear loaded. Some people go higher pressure for better mileage or other reasons, but with high pressures other issues can arise such as poor wear etc.

I probably get about the same drop in '00OBW with lots of A/C use. The a/c uses a fair amount of power and efficiency isn't it's primary goal.

I bought a used 2001 Outback a year ago. It's winter green, and the paint along the driver's side is peeling. ( It had been covered up by the dealer...became apparent first time I hosed the car). Looks like sun damage. Does anyone know if there's a warrenty on the paint. Car currently has 65,000

Read on another thread to keep tyres inflated evenly to maintain AWD. The mannual says 30 front, 29 back. The tire guy (whom I've gone to forever )says 35 all round. Any more comments?

I get 29-32 mpg without air conditioning. Drops quite a lot with. Down to max 25mpg. Problem with air conditioning unit or normal?

I would be surprised if a warranty would cover paint damage to used car, morever, you might consider Macco. My cars bumper was hit in a parking lot( the person didn't bother to say anything) and didn't want to turn it in on insurance, thus I gave Macco a try; Their price was half what I was quoted elsewhere, moreover the job they did was very good! A few minor flaws, but nothing I can't live with for the price.

On the tires, you might get away with overinflating them a bit, however, please don't ever underinflate them! As I recall several people were killed in Ford Explorers as a result of Fords recomendation to underinflating its Firestone tires.

The airconditioner also saps a little mileage out of my Forester, but I don't mind because it works awesome,:rolleyes: and in Iowa, with our humidity we need it.

John

Paint is a very rare issue on subarus, i suspect a bad respray or paint job.

On the tires go by the tire label, as newere tires tend to be higher pressure then older tires. i often leave juffy lube with 4 flats (if i forget to tell them not to check the tires) because the new tires require higher pressure then the older tires. Also you have a little leeway if you find the ride is too hard for you, just play with tire pressure evenly.

nipper

[...]Read on another thread to keep tyres inflated evenly to maintain AWD. The mannual says 30 front, 29 back. The tire guy (whom I've gone to forever )says 35 all round. Any more comments?[...]

Assuming you're running tires that are equivalent to the factory originals, I'd suggest adding 2-3 psi to the factory spec. That would mean 32-33 front, 31-32 rear. Keep the fronts a pound or so higher than the rears, unless you are carrying a very heavy load -- in that case up the rears a pound or so.

To tell whether the pressure you decide on is correct, monitor tire wear. If the tread depth remains fairly even across each tire, you've got the pressure right. If the center of the tread area wears more than that near the shoulders, the tires are overinflated. If the opposite, they're underinflated. (However, you may see a bit more tread wear near the shoulders on the fronts even with proper inflation, due to cornering. That's one of the reasons to rotate tires on a regular basis.)