Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In the back off my 93 legacy wagon there is no cigarette lighter. Would it be possible to get 12v from a wire back there and use it as a plug. Because sometimes i have my rc cars in the back and i want them to charge. Any ideas, without the car going on fire?

You could tap into the rear defoster wire but then you would need to disable the heater by removing the connection to it. If you live in an area where you don't need that then I suppose you could leave it disconnected. Since things are pretty fragile there I don't like touching it. Other than that I think you will have to run a power wire from the front lighter circuit.

I can't really think of anything back there that could deliver the say 10A or so an accessory outlet is fused at, other of course than the rear defroster. Most circuits have a little wiggle room with the current draw but if you melt the insulation or blow the fuse that won't help.

Probably as suggested best way is to just run a #12 or #14 or whatever from the battery back there and then you can put in one of those triple outlets if you wanted. Make sure of course to fuse the wire as close to the battery as possible with a suitable size fuse to protect the size wire you put in or bad things could happen if it ever shorts.

Actually, maybe you could just get a cigarette lighter plug extension cord and run that from the front to back there when you need it; that sounds pretty easy?

Well thanks for the suggestion, and i was thinking about the rear wiper, where the relay is near the right strut. Think the guage off wire is heavy enough to run 5-10A, but can i just tap into the wire? And the extension cord to the back, i do often, but i preffer everything built in, looks more clean. Now the rear window defroster. I dont really use it, but i guess i would have to hit the switch in order for the 12v plugs to work, but you think the wire can hold 5-10A.

I guess there is a constant 12 volts going to the wiper park position. I would think it would be alright to put a charger circuit on it. I doubt that the current would be more than a few amps to charge a battery, even for a quick charger.

The defroster circuit will be able to handle more current if you need it.