Ultimate Subaru Message Board

P1443 Evaporative emission control system vent control function problem???

I pulled P1443 out of my 99 OBW man. Also pulled misfire codes out for 3 cylinders. I've pulled misfire codes before, but I never actually feel the misfires when the CEL is flashing.

What is the deal with the evaporative emission control system? What is that? Does it suggest an exact part(s) that should be replaced? Is it a cause of misfires, or is it affected by the misfires?

My car has new OEM plugs, new OEM wires, I've cleaned the fuel system and the throttle body with seafoam.

Any info is appreciated. I'm open to checking stuff with my ohmmeter.

Thanks,

Ian

Mike, his is similiar, The ECU sees the vent valve electrically is operating, but the other sensors in the tank do not indicate any 'venting action'. Page 1 is the same as the attachment in the P0446 thread. But your symptom is related to a blockage in the hoses, valve and filter that the vent valve controls.

Once again, pls detach and save this as I'm now at my attachment limit.

Guys, thanks for the replies.

I ran a can of seafoam through my gas tank, drove the tank empty, then cleared the CEL codes.

I've driven 300 miles since the codes were cleared, with no CEL.

The guy at Autozone who cleared my code said that an open gas cap can cause P1443. Obviously, I have read the plethora of posts about the gas cap setting off the CEL, but I don't rememebr reading that it caused a P1443 code. The Autozone guy suggested that it did. I doubt that I failed to secure the cap at any point, but whatever.

Anyway, maybe the can of seafoam cleared out some thing in the fuel system that was throwing that code. One thing's for sure... the engine feels a lot smoother and I don't smell as much "gas smell" in the exhaust when I first start up the car. All good things.

I guess the moral of the story is... seafoam the crap outta yo rig... before you do anything else.

• 3 years later...

Hi all. New to the forum, but not to Subarus. We've owned three in the past.

I just bought a '99 Outback Limited with 63,000 miles, a clean creampuff. It runs just fine, but when the tank is down nearly 1/2, it starts throwing the same code. When it's full, no codes. I replaced the gas cap, but it didn't work, obviously, or I wouldn't be chiming in now.

Before I start looking at purge valves, do you guys think the Sea Foam fuel treatment idea will help? Any ideas will be appreciated.

Can't hurt, Seafoam is the shtuff! And it'll at least clean the injectors a bit if nothing else.

Seems kinda strange that it does it only when its under a half tank. Have you tried keeping it above a half tank for a few weeks to see if it stays away? (or is that how you figured out that it only comes on under a half tank :-\)

edited for content which isn't allowed by the blocker. Muh bad. :-P

As a rule, I generally fill up at around 1/2 tank. I hate to get caught short when I need the car immediately. The first few times since I picked up the Outback, when the level drops to between 3/4 and 1/2, the CE light will come on and it's always p1443. I put on the Innova to see what the code is and clear it with a full tank and it doesn't reoccur until the fume level builds up as the tank emptys. I first figured that it was the old cap so I replaced it. It still throws the code.

I just filled up yesterday and put a can of Sea Foam in. We'll try that first. Like you said, it cannot hurt.

I would like to get a manual for this car. I have ones for my other vehicles. If anyone knows where I can get a good one reasonably priced, let me know. I'd prefer it not be a Haynes. I have one for my Jeeps and I've found errors.

Search around the internet, Factory service manuals are available in PDF form. I have one for my 96. You might even put a thread in the wanted section and see if anyone on the board here can email you a copy.

How far do you generally drive each day?

Edited by Fairtax4me

Evap codes can really be a pain sometimes. I've spend days chasing them down! Check the carbon canister and the lines going to it, pull them off one by one and if there is any water or anything in the lines, replace the carbon canister. You can plug the green connectors together under the dash and with the ignition on, the car will cycle the solenoids. If one of them isn't clicking, replace it. (I can't remember exactly what valves are where, since it varies between years, but if you have a haynes or chiltons manual it should show you where the different solenoid valves are.)

I generally put about 90 miles on a day.....give or take a few.

Reason I asked was because most Evap codes are two trips faults. Meaning that the fault has to occur on two separate "trip drive cycles" or trips in a row before it will set the CEL.

If you make a couple of short drives each day the ECU may not have time to finish the checks that constitute a "drive cycle" for that system. What a drive cycle consists of changes for each monitoring system in the car. So a simple 5 minute drive may be enough for one system. But for another system there may be numerous conditions that need to be met in order for the cycle to be considered "complete".

Plug in the two green connectors under the dash as suggested, and see if the vent control solenoid clicks when it is engaged. It should be accessible under the car near the fuel tank.

Edited by Fairtax4me

• 3 years later...

I pulled P1443 out of my 99 OBW man. Also pulled misfire codes out for 3 cylinders. I've pulled misfire codes before, but I never actually feel the misfires when the CEL is flashing.

What is the deal with the evaporative emission control system? What is that? Does it suggest an exact part(s) that should be replaced? Is it a cause of misfires, or is it affected by the misfires?

My car has new OEM plugs, new OEM wires, I've cleaned the fuel system and the throttle body with seafoam.

Any info is appreciated. I'm open to checking stuff with my ohmmeter.

Thanks,

Ian

gas tank vent valve or solenoid valve stuck.