Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My input bearing is bad...

So yesterday I finally broke down and spent the day working on trying to fix the bad bearing sound I've been hearing in my drivetrain/clutch. Replaced the TO, the old one had just a tad play in but not much. I also replaced my clutch since the one in there had radial play in the plastic piece that holds the female splined 'socket?'. The rest of the clutch was in good condition though. The pressure plate was also in pretty good condition with even wear on the fingers and none that were broken/cracked/bent. There was some discoloration, looked to be due to heat, on the clutch disc surface so I went ahead and swapped the pressure plate too. When I had the clutch off I checked the pinion bearing in the crank just to be sure and it felt just fine, nice and snug.

However, the input shaft of the tranny had between 1/32 - 1/16" of radial play. It'd wiggle pretty easy by shaking it with your fingers. But since there wasn't anything I could do about that I put everything back together. Once I got everything hooked back up I started the car and sure enough, the sound was still there. Slightly less loud though only very slightly. I figure having the other clutch in there with the solid center piece is helping hold it better but it's definately on it's way out gear_diagonal.gif.

How long have others ran their's in this condition? What broke first?

Thanks.

i have owned my 93 leg with the same issue for 3yrs now.when i got it,she had that sound and haven't had any problems.i did change the gear oil and it seemed to quiet things down a bit.

(but of course i did put on a louder muffler,so maybe that's covering it up :-p )

my mechanic has told me that he had a legacy with the same prob and has been driving it for a better part of 5-6yrs trouble free.

i also got a spare trans with the car so down the line we can just swap them to take care of the bearing issue.i asked him why not just replace the bearings and he told me that there are shims behind it and it'd be easier to swap the trans

:confused:

(seeing that either way,the trans has to come out)

It may seem a little disturbing, and it is, but thats not something that just happens. You probably have had it for ages.

Pay special attention to the pilot bearing/bushing. SInce the job of that bearing is to support the input shaft, it should be replaced, or at the very least inspected.

nipper