Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Approaching 300,000 miles on daily driver.

84 wagon approaching 300,000 miles.

commute 85 miles a day. gets close to 40 mpg if I take it easy.

the smog mechanic could not believe how clean it runs. I change the oil religiously every 3000 miles.

must of been made on non hungover day at the factory.

shows no signs of slowing down. I contacted Subaru and they told me they had a guy write them that he had 650,000 miles on an original motor.

I have some pics but will have to have my son show me how to attach .

Road Dog

I had an 84 DL parts car with 316k on it when I got it. Coverted it to 2WD (I needed the 4WD parts), and last I knew my friend gave it to his niece who needed a car at around 360k. Original engine - actaully has a LOT of power, due to carbon build up in the cylinders. Cant set the timing over 5 or 6 degrees or it will ping up a hill. :)

GD

This engine (EA82) has a world record. There is not a doubt in my mind.

This is a typical photo of a rigs guages. It really put my sube into perspective. At 629,628 miles all original- it has just received its first set of new wheels (bent). Half rpm as a gas ea82, the scale of repairs goes twice as long. It is an incredible comparison, to know how small a subes parts are, and to relate it to a slow thumping diesel tractor trailer.(it also made it more likely to not be in awe of a "little gas engine that can".)

truckguagesyt3.jpg

This engine (EA82) has a world record. There is not a doubt in my mind.

This is a typical photo of a rigs guages. It really put my sube into perspective. At 629,628 miles all original- it has just received its first set of new wheels (bent). Half rpm as a gas ea82, the scale of repairs goes twice as long. It is an incredible comparison, to know how small a subes parts are, and to relate it to a slow thumping diesel tractor trailer.(it also made it more likely to not be in awe of a "little gas engine that can".)

truckguagesyt3.jpg

What?????? At my work place we have a lot of trucks with over a million miles and some approaching 2 million.

Maybe I don't understand your post.

Road Dog

1 million miles and actually over the road is a "beaming" buzzing bent seen -35 below steel frame of no return I would never have any part of if from around here (and bragging about it anyway)...

I have encountered 3. the rails don't make it if hauling max allowed for the years it can be.even if they are straight. In fact I believe its a sudden stroke maker or other bizarre ILL on older drivers (one just happened recently to an owner operator in his million mile classic from local- never to drive again.)This is the very season it starts happening to the old rigs steel is cooling down, changing densities and buzzing the hell out of everything.I would never brag about that number on a rig. :confused:

A small unibody and engine going that far seems more humanly compatible. I have even heard of this steel hardening event on old steel ships in the cold waters of maine. No one will be operating them again, without the genius of the "invisible stuff" getting cured. Weirdos would call it "a ghost".

I used that photo as it was the epiphany that this tiny ea82 after outrunning everything around could easily be compared to tractor trailer maintenance and longevity, right into the conversations of beaming buzzing bodies with vibrations that would require non-oem risk taking geniuses or lucky guesses by backyard mechanics such as myself.electrical anomalies included, which still leave a majority of mechanics scratching thier heads with questions like "How in heck did that do that? what short circuit? Why does your car make me dizzy without an exhaust leak? " or the most famous of all "the ecu has got a light saying you need to fix EGR" <- not a long term soob owner, Ya know what I mean?

to go to 300k is quite a feat for any car, congrats. love to see it for your old soob. :)

heh, im <500 miles shy of 140K on my GL-10, 87. should hit it by next weekend. daily driver, deliverer of pizza extraordinaire.. driving ~100 miles a day, i only make about 25mpg city driving, but im working on restoring the SPFI to pristine operating condition still.. and i need headgaskets/seals too... other than that, a little TOD, and a few minor alternator/bearing/consumable issues, not a problem in the world!! just awful killer chronic nasty terminal cancer.. This car is going to rust out from under me as I drive it. Im honestly planning, long term, to keep the car in a sense.. but by that i mean maintain the thing as if i were gonna fix the rust and paint it (almost impossible, must post pics) and keep my eyes peeled for a donor chassis and hopefully drivetrain (i have 2wd 3spd auto, ech...) but thats gonna be hard cuz this is a GL10, and i like the sunroof.... and its gonna be hard to find another one...

I just returned to OK from a trip to CA in my 89 GL sedan (2WD 3spd auto) and the odometer now reads 303,405 mi. It's my daily commuter car (75 mi/day) and cruises all day at 4,000 rpm without a hitch. The EA82 may not be the quickest thing on the road, but I can easily cruise at the posted speed limits.

thats 140K achieved last night. boo-yah, but it made it all the way to 139,958 with the factory starter.. it died on me before but i resurrected it by cleaning the armature and brush assembly and re-assembling it.. gave me another 20K miles, with lots of on and off.... so I had no complaints.

I have spent the last several weeks thinking i needed to do somethnig special for the car for her 140th... and i did. I installed a starter relay circuit, because my starter wasnt clicking on due to resistance buildup in the switch.. junkyard fix of the highest caliber.

hey, it was all i could afford. I would have loved to give her a five speed and get rid of the uber-kweer automatic (just a lifelong prejudice against torque converters, having to do with push starting as a matter of fact.. grr..)

so if I am rambling then ignore me.. but I'm glad about my upgrade:headbang: