Ultimate Subaru Message Board

who's there?

circuit 1 bank 1. HAHAHAHA GET IT????

yeah, so it's not that funny. my CEL keeps coming on about once a week after i clear the code that says that the knock sensor circuit 1 bank 1 is erring. this obviously leads me to believe that it's bad.

2 questions:

Estimated cost?

Is it something that i can do it in the parking lot of my apartment building with only basic tools (wrench, plyers, sockets/ratchet, various screwdrivers)?

and if you don't know by now: 96 legacy 2.2 ~120k

It you don't have a magnetic socket, at least have a long handled magenet on hand to retrieve the bolt from underneath the intake manifold whe you drop it. It's a tight sqeeze starting the bolt when you're putting in the new sensor. The procedure in the Haynes manual actually says to remove the intake manifold. You absolutely don't need to, it just makes it much less of a pain in the butt.

Magnetic socket! I wish I had such luxuries...I replaced mine in about 2 minutes in my friend's driveway. No tape, no magnetic devices and it was the easiest repair I think I've ever done.

You definately do not have to remove the intake manifold. I was pretty bummed when I looked in the book and it said that you had to remove it. But then I just looked under the hood, located the sensor and I couldn't believe they said to remove the manifold! What a waste of time.

Don't remember what the sensor cost though...Autozone had it on the shelf.

Like Kimo said, it's an easy job and basic tools are all thats needed. A little manual dexterity will help.

I just bought a genuine Subaru knock sensor from Liberty Subaru for about 75bucks. Probably did not need it. Probably just another CEL/OBDII B.S. situation...

Mike V

Liberty Subaru also goes by DiscountParts.com (if you ask). Did you get the "discount" price or the full screw price?

Like Kimo said, it's an easy job and basic tools are all thats needed. A little manual dexterity will help.

I just bought a genuine Subaru knock sensor from Liberty Subaru for about 75bucks. Probably did not need it. Probably just another CEL/OBDII B.S. situation...

Mike V

Liberty Subaru also goes by DiscountParts.com (if you ask). Did you get the "discount" price or the full screw price?

$75 would have been the full screw price 9did you get kissed first for that?)

Part is between $20 and $50 online. Replacement is elementery.you need a 12mm socket, 10"-12" of extensions, a fair bit of manual dexterity (Can you retrieve a quarter that you have dropped between the front seats of your car?), and a minimum of mechanical aptitude (bare minimum for this job: the ability to change a household lightbulb should be enough). This is a common job. the sensor tends crack and fail with age. No biggie to replace it though.

I really don't believe I was fully screwed on the knock sensor I bought from Liberty Subaru. When I initially inquired about the part, the Liberty parts man said price was $97.00. By the time we got around to finishing up with the shipping details, he asked me where I heard about his company. He said that if I told him I read about it in Road & Track he'd give me the discount price of about $75.00.

Also, I checked price at "1st Subaru Parts" or whatever it is out there in WA state and they wanted about $75.00. Are you sure you are talking about an OEM sensor for $50.00 or less? Not that I know if a brand X knock sensor would be any problem - may be perfectly good as far as I know in which case Liberty did screw me.