Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Southwest Subaru meet 2/15/07 MLK jr weekend

Yep we’ve talked about it… we even tried to get one organized and two people showed up.

But how about January 15th, MLK Jr. Weekend. That gives us about 4 months to work out the kinks. And maybe give me enough time to complete my EJ BRAT project.

Depending on who responds, we can determine the location that is central to everyone planning to come. Grand Canyon would be a good spot, maybe Vegas but it can get pretty busy on a holiday weekend there.

Also please reply with what type of meet you would like to have.

Gathering/meet and greet, road drive, trail drive, offroad drive, install-fest, all the above.

Please add other interests. I mean heck.. maybe other people would like to do underwater Subaru basket weaving.

I hope to have a place set by the end of September and some rough idea of what we will do for the two days that we are there.

Please respond to this thread with name, location and type of meet or activity.

1) s’ko, Los Angeles. ATA (all the above) especially the basket weaving…

2) SuBrat84, Tucson, AZ

3) mislesxcracker, Los Angeles

4) Mountainbiker, Sonoma, CA, Offroad drive, meet-n-greet, BBQ. Anza Borrengo

5) ryker, Anza

6) YellowSub, Tucson, AZ meet-n-greet & food,

7) Beataru, Scottdale, AZ,

Anza Borrego looks nice.

If not too may people chime in from the AZ and NM and Nevada, maybe we can all meet at Pismo? Then we can get the Reno crew and SF crew.

That's great camping and fun dune driving. Granted it might be crazy busy.

BW

Bought this book called Guide to Southern California Backroads and 4-Wheel drive trails. They have about 20 trail in the Anza Borrego area. 6 are marked easy. Looks like it's pretty close to San Diego too. I am going to go the palm springs for a marriage retreat at the end of the month. I can go there and scout it out.

BW

Bought this book called Guide to Southern California Backroads and 4-Wheel drive trails. They have about 20 trail in the Anza Borrego area. 6 are marked easy. Looks like it's pretty close to San Diego too. I am going to go the palm springs for a marriage retreat at the end of the month. I can go there and scout it out.

BW

That book is okay' date=' but their trail ratings are too coarse. Some easy trails aren't so easy in a stock Subaru.

For better granularity on the ratings, I recommend the "SUV Backcountry Adventures" series of books:

http://www.4x4books.com/cas4wd.htm

Stock Foresters are great on 1 and 2 rated trails, 3 rated trails are okay too, but some are slow going and sump protection is a must. You can also expect other bottom parts to be hitting on some 3 trails. 4-5 rated trails doable with lift and All Terrain tires.

I've been all over the trails listed in the SoCalBackcountry Adventures book in Anza Borrego, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Barstow area, Mojave National Preserve, Colorado River, etc.

Mountain Biker---

Thanks for the info.

BTW have you been down the pumpkin patch trail? What is the terrain like and can a stock OBS w/4 people make it to the patch?

Are there any other trails that you can think of that would be good to drive down? I have about 5 hours or so of time.

All----

Anyone up on San Francisco or NV willing to meet up?

Logistically I think it might be best to stay the first night at a motel. It would be easier to rally up at a location with a street address instead of trying to find each other at night in the middle of the desert.

BW

Mountain Biker---

Thanks for the info.

BTW have you been down the pumpkin patch trail? What is the terrain like and can a stock OBS w/4 people make it to the patch?

Are there any other trails that you can think of that would be good to drive down? I have about 5 hours or so of time.

For those that don't know' date=' here is some info on the Pumpkin Patch:

http://www.desertusa.com/ovr/du_orvpupkin.html

I got to the PP okay with the stock Forester with an automatic, but there is some very deep, dry sand, especially this time of year, so there is some risk of getting stuck in the sand. There are usually lots of folks out and about to help you, but take a shovel and a good tow strap! Also be ready to lower the tire pressure down to 15psi or so, and have a pump to air up. I don't think I'd try it in the OBS with a stick shift.

Here is a map of AB: http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/files/ABDSPmap.pdf

I got to PP via the Arroyo Salado campgrounds, then from Arroyo Salado wash, take the turn off to PP (can't remember if it is off Arroyo Salado or Tule Wash). There are many other ways to get there from S22 in the OHV area. The palm oasis shown on the map right there are worth a visit too.

With only 5 hours, I'd recommend the slot canyon on South Palm Wash, accessed from S22 at the start of Calcite Mine Road. You'll probably have to walk the 1 mile from S22 unless the road down to the wash has been improved since I was there. Font's Point is good too (but not so good with a stick shift), and of course Borrego Palm Canyon and the visitor's center if you've never been there.

There is a lot more good stuff, I just have to think a bit more about what will be reasonably possible for those without low range or an automatic.

Yep we’ve talked about it… we even tried to get one organized and two people showed up.

But how about January 15th' date=' MLK Jr. Weekend. That gives us about 4 months to work out the kinks. And maybe give me enough time to complete my EJ BRAT project.[/font']

Depending on who responds, we can determine the location that is central to everyone planning to come. Grand Canyon would be a good spot, maybe Vegas but it can get pretty busy on a holiday weekend there.

Also please reply with what type of meet you would like to have.

Gathering/meet and greet, road drive, trail drive, offroad drive, install-fest, all the above.

Please add other interests. I mean heck.. maybe other people would like to do underwater Subaru basket weaving.

I hope to have a place set by the end of September and some rough idea of what we will do for the two days that we are there.

Please respond to this thread with name, location and type of meet or activity.

1) s’ko, Los Angeles. ATA (all the above) especially the basket weaving…

2) SuBrat84, Tucson, AZ

3) mislesxcracker, Los Angeles

4) Mountainbiker, Sonoma, CA, Offroad drive, meet-n-greet, BBQ. Anza Borrengo

5) ryker, Anza

6) YellowSub, meet-n-greet & food, Tucson, AZ

What are some of the problems that I might expect w/a clutch?

I just installed a new one and I haven't had much problems w/wheeling in the old one.

BW

You sometimes have to slip the clutch quite a bit to get moving in the sand. There are times when it is difficult to pick your way through a sandy section with embedded rocks at a low enough speed. But if you've been in deep sand with it already and get around okay, then you should be good.

You sometimes have to slip the clutch quite a bit to get moving in the sand. There are times when it is difficult to pick your way through a sandy section with embedded rocks at a low enough speed. But if you've been in deep sand with it already and get around okay, then you should be good.

ahh.. I see. I went to pismo beach once and drove in Mexico a bit on the beach. I think the key will be to air down and bring some boards w/me.

How is Fonts Point?

BW

just got back from Anza-Borrego.

OBS handled great. I aired it down to about 18 PSI. my route was Fonts Point. then to the short wash to the cut-off trail. The cut-off trail to Basin Wash to Tule wash to the pumpkin Patch and then to the main highway. There were a few sections where my bottom was scrapping against the sand. It was mostly when I would drive in the tire ruts and the was a high ridge in the middle. I had a bit of trouble at the Cut-off trail b/c it had some short whopdidos that I had to co really slow over.

I am down loading the video right now and I should have some still shots uploaded to my photobucket site.

Let's make this happen

BW

just got back from Anza-Borrego.

OBS handled great. I aired it down to about 18 PSI. my route was Fonts Point. then to the short wash to the cut-off trail. The cut-off trail to Basin Wash to Tule wash to the pumpkin Patch and then to the main highway.

That is a pretty good distance on the sand! Glad it worked out okay. Would you think that most folks would be happy to put their vehicles through the same use/abuse during a meet-n-greet?

That is a pretty good distance on the sand! Glad it worked out okay. Would you think that most folks would be happy to put their vehicles through the same use/abuse during a meet-n-greet?

i think the total distance on my odometer was about 40 miles. Based on the route that I went it should be doable for a stock 4wd soobie. Some parts might have a bit of radiator support scraping on an EA car. I don't know what the stock height is on an EA car, but my OBS is about 6.5 inches or so.

In terms of other people wheeling during the meet and greet, I will be bringing spare parts and stuff, but I don't think the route should give people trouble. I will be going back there in December to scout it out again.

BW

Uhhhh..... i hope i have my roo back on line in 4 months..hehe just kidding itl be runnin this weekend.... i cant give a definate answer but... i may be willing to comeup..... assuming i have money after fixing this thing :lol: is there a definate meeting place??? if its too far than ill have to pass it up but... i dont know... talk to me in 3mo and3weeks hehe... Procrastanation!!!

here is a mapquest link http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=&city=salton+city&state=ca&zipcode=

to Salton City, which is the nearest city to the off-road are.

From Scottsdale you are about 283 miles.

Glamis is more central to everyone except for mountainbiker, but it will be stupid crazy on a holiday weekend.

Caravan w/the phoenix/tucson guys.

It's between Indio and El Centro. That's actually a real good location for a SW meet. People from Tucson can just take the 8 out to El Centro and up.. and people from Phoenix can just take the 10 out to Indio and down.. Same thing with San diego/Los angeles.. Is there camping and all of that in the Anza Borrego? Pitch a tent have a camp fire kind of camping??

I wonder if we can get any Sac/Reno guys down tooo.. *getting excited*:banana:

I just call the park headquarters and they said that around Jan there is a possiblity of rain, but it's really depends on the weather for the week. The washes can be dangerous w/flash flooding.

The have an open camping policy. So if we wanted to we could just park no more than a cars length off of the trail and pitch a tent. They recommend that you don't camp in the washes b/c of the aforementioned flash flooding. oh.. Camp is also free. probably will have to bring extra pans or pieces of wood to catch the oil dripping from the cars.:grin:

Fires have to be done inside of a metal container b/c they do not want the ground to be scarred. I have a friend who took the tub from a washing machine or dryer and used that. It's got holes, its made of metal and it allows heat to radiate.

January is the coldest month there, temps 63 in the day, 40s at night. and it also has the most rainfall of 1.43 inches.

Well that is all for now. got to get back to work. I am really looking forward to this event. :banana:

BW

here is a mapquest link http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=&city=salton+city&state=ca&zipcode=

to Salton City' date=' which is the nearest city to the off-road are.

From Scottsdale you are about 283 miles.

Glamis is more central to everyone except for mountainbiker, but it will be stupid crazy on a holiday weekend.

Caravan w/the phoenix/tucson guys.[/quote']

are you guys planning to go off road??? Because My roo is a road roo.... my bros GL might have a new tranny in 4 mo... i dont know... or are we just going to hangout and talk and EAT! i hope that ones true!!!