Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cam timing without belt covers

r00fi

I've checked out lots of threads about cam timing and I'm pretty sure I've got mine right, but I'm not 100% sure because I don't have belt covers installed. I had a look at Miles' tech article which has bare belts but that also references belt cover timing marks.

Is there something I can align the cam pulley holes with?

I know the pulley holes are supposed to align "one up - one down" but without a reference point the alignment is relative to how you hold you head and which eye you look through :)

I thought maybe it's possible to count the belt teeth? Maybe ok for turbo side but nightmare on dizzy side :eek:

My car goes ok at the moment, but I had some funky stuff happen after replacing a distributor cap and rotor which resulted the ignition timing going completely AWOL. I suspect I jumped a tooth on a cam.......

I second, and up it to 99.85%.

+1....100%

if you've got the flywheel marks on, and you've missed the cam timing by a tooth, it'll be noticably off from that seam.

remember, the 2 should be 180 degrees different from each other. so check one side, rotate the engine over once, and check the other (usually driver side first, but either way will work)