Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new member from Canada (loyale wagon)

Hi all, I just buy a 93 loyale wagon for 200 $ can, that,s 180USD$ :banana:

the car has 245k kilometeres and is in very good mechanical condition, but the rust...hmmm the chassis looks ok, except the part near the rear bumper...

THe only concern I have is the brakes, they are soft, they works OK but you have to go far with the pedal before they bite...the level is ok ( I mean the level of brake liquid

What can I do ?

Last thing, are loyale parts easy to get at NAPA stores our any auto parts shop ?

THanks guys

, I will try to post some pics later this week

Greg

ps: sorry for my bad english, english is y third language after french and dutch,,,

Montreal Canada

first off welcome to the board.

second, check to see if there is any trace of brake fluid under the master cylinder....if there is then i would suspect that the master cylinder is bad.

even if there is not fluid under there i would suspect that the master cylinder is bad

The best way to go about things is first to check carefully for leaks. Then, get a big bottle of brake fluid, bleed first the master cylinder, and then bleed the wheels in the following order: LF RR RF LR. once you do that, and you still have poor pedal pressure, then think about your master cylinder. It would also be a good idea to use some brake cleaner and clean any areas where leaking might occur to make it obvious.. but dont bother with that until after you bleed everything.

the order of the bleeding procedure is apparently fairly important... as it HAS made a difference in the past, and shall in the future. it may well improve pedal greatly; only to gradually have it disappear again. if this is the case i would strongly suspect a master cylinder. but, unless you find a leak elsewhere, thats probably the first thing to replace, so that aint sayin too much i guess...

good luck.

Another possibility might be worn back brakes, poorly adjusted. Check them while bleeding. You will need a big socket to get the drum off.

Parts are easy to get at Canadian Tire or NAPA. If they carry them here in Terrace (BC boondocks), it should be easy to find parts in Montreal. CT is cheaper. I like NAPA axles, they are easier to install. Some parts from the dealership are cheaper than NAPA or CT, though! It pays to shop around, even with the dealerships. There can be 10% difference in cost between dealers.

i have the same problem, im just too lazy to bleed the brakes. im in western new york, and i have a difficult time finding new parts at parts stores, mainly oddball items like relays and switches, which seem to be the most common on my 91 loyale. overall a great running car that gets excellent gas mileage!

Could be disk brakes as well

Another possibility might be worn back brakes, poorly adjusted. Check them while bleeding. You will need a big socket to get the drum off.

Parts are easy to get at Canadian Tire or NAPA. If they carry them here in Terrace (BC boondocks), it should be easy to find parts in Montreal. CT is cheaper. I like NAPA axles, they are easier to install. Some parts from the dealership are cheaper than NAPA or CT, though! It pays to shop around, even with the dealerships. There can be 10% difference in cost between dealers.

The best way to go about things is first to check carefully for leaks. Then, get a big bottle of brake fluid, bleed first the master cylinder, and then bleed the wheels in the following order: LF RR RF LR. once you do that, and you still have poor pedal pressure, then think about your master cylinder. It would also be a good idea to use some brake cleaner and clean any areas where leaking might occur to make it obvious.. but dont bother with that until after you bleed everything.

My thoughts exactly. With the added "check your brake pads and shoes, replace where necessary (don't just replace one side, you need to replace both sides, best to do all 4 at once really)"

My thoughts exactly. With the added "check your brake pads and shoes, replace where necessary (don't just replace one side, you need to replace both sides, best to do all 4 at once really)"

well, its a given that any time you do one axle you check the other... but i often go thru 3-4 sets of front brake pads between rear brakes... and the only time ive ever turned rear drums was once, when the car was already 25+ yrs old before i got it and put ~40K on it. rear brakes often wear much slower than fronts. If its a "new-to-you" car, or if the state of the brakes is a TOTAL unknown, then four at once can certainly be called for... but its a durned fool that does one wheel at a time :rolleyes: