Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC Compressor

Guest johnk

I need to replace the AC compressor and drier in a 93 Impreza. How difficult will this to do on my own. Do I need any special tools beyond a compressor and air tools>

Thanks

Guest kevinsUBARU

what are the signs that these components are wearing out?

In my 95 Impreza, When I turn the AC on, a chirp can be heard from the engine bay (it was squeeling last summer but I had the belts tightened up), and it spews red dust all over the place. Inside the cabin, I can hear it "hissing" through the vents.

Guest theotherskip

you don't even need a compressor & air tools. actually, hand tools tend to be better. there is far less chance of really screwing things up, assuming that you are using the proper tool. with the exception of the occasional frozen bolt which an impact gun can help, i never use air tools, especially when putting things back together...

as for special tools, you will need a vacuum pump to evacuate the sytem, but it might be best to have the system evacuated and charged at a shop. make sure they add the proper amount of oil to the system.

Guest Legacy777

Kevin,

If the belts are tight, and you're still getting squealing and tons of red dust. I'd say at the very least the clutch is dieing/dead, or the compressor needs to be replaced.

If you do the work yourself, put the oil in yourself and just have them evacuate the system and put the refridge in.

• 1 year later...

I can't find the detailed write up of this article. Anyone have a suggestion on DIY AC compressor replacement?

THanks,

BIlly

Not very difficult. If you have R12, I'd suggest converting it to 134a. I've got a pretty detailed write-up in the archives

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2442&page=1&pp=10&highlight=134a