Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt ignition switch = loyale, dl, gl switch?

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Was able to fix my ignition switch problem by replacing the back-side electrical module. The electrical part of the switch comes off of the ignition switch with just the removal of one small screw - a little awkward to reach but not too bad. The loyale, dl, gl electrical module has a longer pigtail than the xt, but is otherwise the same. Cheap fix for me - took the module off of my parts car. No more hunting for a sweet spot when I turn the key and hoping that it will start.

from what i can see theyre veery similar to the datsun/nissan ones too.. i think its a relatively generic niles part, and ive thought for years that many jap cars may have interchangeable switches.. just not the locks. ive never actually checked anything out, but from what ive seen (and ive paid attention to alot of these things in JYs for the purposes of confirming this theory) its just a matter of whether or not it all lines up right, and switches the same wires in order.

the lock too?? that i didnt think about, even though my soob key starts my datsun (turns the cylinder, nothing starts it right now :()

its funny, the lock cylinder in my Z is totally stripped, and any nissan/subaru key will turn it through its positions.. plus you can remove the key in any position with no consequence. I look at that as a feature, to be honest.. its kept me from cutting my car off to go back into my house on a number of occasions...:lol:

the lock too?? that i didnt think about, even though my soob key starts my datsun (turns the cylinder, nothing starts it right now :()

its funny, the lock cylinder in my Z is totally stripped, and any nissan/subaru key will turn it through its positions.. plus you can remove the key in any position with no consequence. I look at that as a feature, to be honest.. its kept me from cutting my car off to go back into my house on a number of occasions...:lol:

Thats funny..

One day I wasnt paying attention and fired up my 87 turbo z with the subaru key.. I didnt notice anything till I turned left and my keys fell out into the floor... Talk about me doing a WTF??? It took a while to turn the car off, the nissan key wouldnt go in I finally stuck the subaru key back in and turned it off... Wont work the door though, but hell. Ive left it running a few times with the "new" trick :)

But now theres only 2 keys that work it.. my z and subaru key