Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02 Outback 3.0L H6 SFI DOHC 24V

I'm looking at upgrading my 1998 2.5L outback with 139,000 miles to an 02 Outback 3.0L H6 SFI DOHC 24V with 90,000 miles. Does the 02 have any known engine problems like the 98 does with the head gasket issue?

Does anyone have the 3.0L, what kind of gas mileage does it get? Are you happy with the car overall?

I'm looking at upgrading my 1998 2.5L outback with 139,000 miles to an 02 Outback 3.0L H6 SFI DOHC 24V with 90,000 miles. Does the 02 have any known engine problems like the 98 does with the head gasket issue?

Does anyone have the 3.0L, what kind of gas mileage does it get? Are you happy with the car overall?

No offense to 3.0 owners ;) but from what I've read,the 2.5L is a better choice. The 03> have 165hp which seems to be a excellent match and if you do some serious shopping,you may find a newer lower mileage OB 2.5 for most likely the same price.

What's better about it?

its a lighter engine so you get better handling. It really depends what you want to do with it. If you want instant throttle response get the 6. If you want more nimble handling get the turbo. Thats been the general opinion of all the autowriters :)

nipper

i have a '01 l.l.bean outback with a 3.0. gets 23 mpg around town every week and has great power. your supposed to run premium gas, however, so consider the extra fuel cost. good luck.

They make stuff called Valve tech (not sure on the spelling) but its like 7 bucks a bottle, the stuff treats 150 gallons out of a pint can, so I think that'd be cheaper than buying premium fuel. We use valve tech in marine applications on GM 496 engines because they require 92 octane+ fuel and we can only get 87 at the pump.