Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 underpinnings swap

newsoobdude

I have a line on a dirt cheap 84 2 door sedan and I was thinking of converting it over to an Impreza STI style canyon carver. What suspension/ underpinnings parts interchange with the ea81 style body besides the ea82 crossmember? I would like to lower it and put in an EJ20T and 5 speed and keep it four wheel drive. Is this possible without spending an arm and a leg in custom fabrication work? If not, does anyone know where to get a lowering kit for an ea81, not more than 2 inches? Either that or any ideas to make it handle better??

you can do a 5 lug swap, thats covered in the help section, and also in numerous posts, searching for the 5 lug swap will yeild a pluthera of info.

As far as keeping up with it, umm, i hate to be the guy that craps on your popcicle, but with 72 horsepower you aren't going to keep up with an STi unless you get your car down to 600 pounds or less.

you can do a 5 lug swap, thats covered in the help section, and also in numerous posts, searching for the 5 lug swap will yeild a pluthera of info.

As far as keeping up with it, umm, i hate to be the guy that craps on your popcicle, but with 72 horsepower you aren't going to keep up with an STi unless you get your car down to 600 pounds or less.

Thats what the EJ20T is for, and BTW, it wont be stock for long (engine that is)

In austraila there has been a few Brumby's (Brats) with either full WRX or STi suspension, brakes, plus running gear. On a forum I saw a write up on one guys STi conversion. Don't remember the exact costs but it was along the lines of $2500 for the Brumby, $6000 for the STi engine/gearbox, $4000 for STi suspension and wheels, $2000 other parts. And around $5000 fabrication work, plus he put it all in him self.

He wanted to sell it for $15,000, registered and ready to go (which is a big deal here in Aus.) Quite frankly I am amazed it could even be registered.

In austraila there has been a few Brumby's (Brats) with either full WRX or STi suspension, brakes, plus running gear. On a forum I saw a write up on one guys STi conversion. Don't remember the exact costs but it was along the lines of $2500 for the Brumby, $6000 for the STi engine/gearbox, $4000 for STi suspension and wheels, $2000 other parts. And around $5000 fabrication work, plus he put it all in him self.

He wanted to sell it for $15,000, registered and ready to go (which is a big deal here in Aus.) Quite frankly I am amazed it could even be registered.

I saw that Brat too but now I cannot find that web site:confused: . Can anyone help me find it??? That is basically what I want to do this sedan:brow:

If you haven't done any mojor mods to a car before (engine swap) I would suggest not digging yourself into a project this big. You don't want to buy something, get stuck into pulling it all down and then get totally overwhelmed and not continue it for years to come. Do something like a EJ20 or 22 swap using your existing trans. Then you'll get a feel for what is needed. Plus you won't get an instant 300hp to get bored with a year down the track. Slowly increase power, that way you can stay exitied for longer.

Just some thoughts of mine.

If you haven't done any mojor mods to a car before (engine swap) I would suggest not digging yourself into a project this big. You don't want to buy something, get stuck into pulling it all down and then get totally overwhelmed and not continue it for years to come. Do something like a EJ20 or 22 swap using your existing trans. Then you'll get a feel for what is needed. Plus you won't get an instant 300hp to get bored with a year down the track. Slowly increase power, that way you can stay exitied for longer.

Just some thoughts of mine.

I do agree and was going to do it in stages, 1st being the EJ and 5speed swap ( I HATE automatics). Second a 6-point roll bar. Then do the suspension and AWD swap later on as time and $$$ allow. I can use an AWD tranny and just not connect the rear output to anything right (sorry it's super early this morning and I'm on s-l-o-w still)

Well looks liek you got your answer. Like everything else, enough dollars and you can do anything (if you ignore the rules.) But I guess you have an idea on how much dollars it will take now.

Things like custom drive shafts is whats going to cost you big bucks. Unless you have the skills and a machine shop at your finger tips.

• 2 weeks later...

someone is already doing something along the lines of what you want to do. do a search on themixtoo and his project. he is putting an entire OBS drivetrain into a BRAT. So far it's taken him over a year to do. I guess it's all about what you are willing to tackle and if you have the skills. If no skills then do you have the money to pay someone to do it.

EA82 crossmember is not a direct swap. you will have to make an adapter plate b/c it's wider than your ea81 body. If you are going to do anything, do an EJ swap and put in a 5spd 4wd tranny. If you can find a RX then you will get dual range and LSD. re:wheels 5 lug XT6 parts if you can find them or redrill your rotors to 6 X 140 and run 6 lug wheels.

You gotta remember that you don't need a full WRX motor b/c you have a lot lower power to weight ratio.

Hope that helps.

BW

I'm more intersted in making this car handle better and taking it from there. I was planning on an EJ w/ ATLEAST 1 turbo (but twins are preffered:grin: ). My main concern would be keeping it from plowing through corners (hense the canyon carver theme). ULTIMATE SLEEPER (minus the Justy that runs 12.60:headbang: ) that will keep up with a canyon carver:brow: .

• 2 weeks later...
I'm more intersted in making this car handle better and taking it from there. I was planning on an EJ w/ ATLEAST 1 turbo (but twins are preffered:grin: ). My main concern would be keeping it from plowing through corners (hense the canyon carver theme). ULTIMATE SLEEPER (minus the Justy that runs 12.60:headbang: ) that will keep up with a canyon carver:brow:

For a canyon carver, you are going to have to figure out how to get rid of body sway and flex. They stock set up especially from a car that is 23 years old is going to be mushy and worn out. HP is important but handling is going to keep your car from crashing into a road barrier. since few people work on or even tune EA81's what you have to ask yourself is how good of a mechanic/fabricator you are or do you know anyone with those skills.

The best think to do is to figure out what you want to do and start gathering parts. If you are EJ swapping, changing the crossmember is something that you can do while you are down there.

some of the EA82 stuff swaps over but not all.

EJ22 DIY project is pretty large undertaking. You will need a garage to keep the car in for atleast 2 months if not more. Lots of info on the EJ swap here.

Better handling is a bit easier.

From cheapest/easiest to most involved. (most are in the Ultimate subaru repair manual area.)

1) get a set of cooper 205/40/13 tires.

2) find a set of pugs and slap some wider tires on there or find a set of 6X140 wheels and re-drill them for your 4X140 set up.

3) Do a rear disc swap (USRM)

4) retro-fit your rear shock to an EA82 spring shock set up.(USRM)

Here's where fabrication skills are in order.

5) make a strut tower bar.

6) install an EA82 crossmember and use the EA82 antisway bars. back sway bars will also have to be beefed up but I don't know if EA82 will bolt in.

7) 5 lug swap. Really complicated. (USRM)

For more EA81 power, (provided that you don't have smog to worry about :banghead:) Do an SPFI swap. fairly easy to do and you will increase a bit of power but get a lot more reliability. For smog legal power gains an EJ swap is the easiest way to go.

Good luck and feel free to kick ideas around here. Just be prepared to "have someone poop on your popsicle"

:rolleyes: who says things like that???

BW