Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 hatch WRX conversion

Mr Fishums

I would like to put a WRX donar motor into my 1988 EA81 D/R hatch back.

The hatch is as clean as hatches can get, and is definately worth the transplant. Currently it is gutted of absolutely all interior, and about to be under going bed liner floor treatment. It currently has a built up EA81 engine with about 110 HP but I require many more horses under my hood :burnout:

Who has done this so far, and what problems will I be running into? What exactly will I need?

Thanks, Fishman

There is a justy that had the swap done that may lend some insite into what you are doing.Can't seem to find the website.I know you will need the wiring harness and ecu ect.You will need the parts to do a 5lug swap most likely off of a xt6.Also there is a guy that put a wrx motor into his brat.I think his name is Ruguyver.I could be wrong in the spelling of the name.I know it is rather in depth,but the end result would be a sick rally hatch!:headbang:

Want to get rid of any of your ea81 stuff let me know.

if your looking at running a DOHC wrx motor you'll need to cut and weld the frame rails to clear the T-belt covers....and you'll need to mod the engine cross member so the turbo header pipe has clearance(or get a X-member from a turbo ea81)

Affirmative, might have to fab a custom cross member. I'm not sure that the EA-81 Turbo one will work, then again I don't have one in front of me to look at :-p Modding the frame rails seems like it will be an easy task, as you suggested cutting and welding is the best option.

My plans are to use the adaptor method with the EA-82 D/R 5spd tranny, But I'm starting to hear some rumors that 1st gear can't survive the turbos boost. Can anyone confirm that?

http://sites.rapidus.net/labrecqj/justywrx/english.html

here's the site that jerry was talking about..(justy with wrx engine)

if you do go through with it.your gonna have to make sure that pics an vid is posted..

Yeah that justy looks awesome :D No one ever suspects the justy

Thanks for the info guys keep it coming! Fish

thinking about it, Ryan (88HM) is doing a simular swap, but i think his is an ej22tt. i don`t think he has started the swap, but he's done alot of brainstorming on it. you may want to contact him.

he has also completed an ej22 swap into his lifted hatch, that may be an easier swap for you, plus, that would still be a non-interference motor that would do 30mpg, and you can keep your stock tranny. ej22s are known to do 300k, heck, look at some of the old legacy mail cars.

Australia is where you can find the d/r ea tranny.Slim chance they made it up into Canada.

what? I believe you're thinking of the D/R EJ tranny. but we're talking about an EA tranny....they're real common.

I would highly recommend NOT using a D/R tranny. first, because a part-time 4WD tranny means (assuming it's built for the street) that it'll be in FWD much of the time. and the full-time 4WD trannies' lo range is virtually not noticable. and certainly unnecessary with the torque available from the EJ motors.

if I swap out my RX tranny for something else, it'll be a single range 3.90 lockable center FT4WD XT6 5MT. or a 4.111 legacy 5MT. the lo range is totally useless with the EJ22. and if you're going with a bigger motor....you'll need it even less.

if your looking at running a DOHC wrx motor you'll need to cut and weld the frame rails to clear the T-belt covers....and you'll need to mod the engine cross member so the turbo header pipe has clearance(or get a X-member from a turbo ea81)

EA82T crossmembers work too I hear.

Even with the big motor, you're still gonna want a "real" low range.

My plan, if i can get the time/money/parts, is to get the RX center diff lock, 1.59 low range, 4.11 final drive all in one nice package :headbang:

maybe the RX gears are shorter, but even with my very stock NA EJ22, I have no desire, whatsoever for lower gears (keep in mind, this is not an offroader). in fact, I think the gears are too short, even in Hi. I was hoping for gearing like this in lo range, and then switch it to hi for the street. now that I'm actually driving it, I doubt I'll ever really use lo range.