Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Guest theotherskip

HELP! trying to pull engine - can't separate trans from eng

Guest theotherskip

Hello...

i'm trying to pull the engine on a 97 obw. i've been following the service manual, disconnected everything it says. i've removed 4 connections - 2 nuts at the bottom, and 2 bolts on the top (one with the engine ground connector, the other was under the engine wiring harness connector). Have i missed any?

it seems as though i can separate enough to force a putty knife between, but no further. i've tried soaking the alignment pins with pb blaster, but it doesnt seem to have helped (at least yet)...

any help is greatly appericated...

thanks

(i've tried standing on the engine, jacking the transmission, hammering against any possible point...)

Guest theotherskip

sorry, didn't give enough info...it's has a manual transmission, so there shouldn't be anything to unbolt...thanks!

Guest svxpert

did you disconnect the 2 engine mounts that hold the engine to the crossmember?

Guest theotherskip

yup... i have the engine on a chain hoist, the transmission resting on a floor jack. with the hoist, i can lift the engine and trans, but they wont break apart...

Guest whippet

Sometimes you just have to pry them apart going back from side to side.

Guest theotherskip

success!!! thanks for all the replies. it finally came down to hitting the top of the bell housing with a breaker bar, then a ball peen hammer. it slowly opened up to where i could get a screwdriver in between and open it up.

Thanks for all the quick responses and suggestions! it definaltly got me thinking and helped me along...