Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA to EJ conversion site needs your input

Numbchux

OK, I'm in the process of compiling all the information I can find on the EJ-swap onto one page. I'm using my Geocities account, but when it's done, I'll submit it to the USRM for publishing right here on the site.

anyway, here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/numbchuxSOAD/EA2EJ

I'm mostly using info from this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48848

I'd like for you guys to check it out, and as I go, let me know if I should make any changes, whether it be in the formatting, or information. especially including spelling and grammer. I don't want it to look like I'm a total moron

I'll bump this thread whenever I update the page.

If you can, post this website as a USMB post here so we can move it all to the USRM when you are done. Lookin good so far. Im in the middle of TWO conversions right now, one on my 83 Turbo Wagon and another on an 88 RX coupe. The conversions are similar but the 88 is much more of a pain in the rear to do.

The RX accepts the XT pitch stopper bracket but my 83 does not. Both cars have the same tranny in them but the 83 the bracket mount on the firewall is offset of center where as the 88 EA82 body its directly lining up.

The 83 was alot easier to put the air filter into but both can be done this way:

Take the legacy air box, cut the bottom of it off so the bottom of the filter is exposed and then take the legacy airbox mount on the frame rail and make new holes to bolt it in.

The wiring on the 83, goes thru the grommet behind the strut tower without any problem. The 88 you have to pull the LF fender and run the wiring thru that grommet and its a lot harder to get all the wires thru the 2nd hole that the old intake manifold wiring went thru but it does fit.

The 2.2 fits in the EA82 body frame rails better but the clearance between the radiator and the front pullies is tighter on the ea82.

The single row radiator ea82 seems to be a better fit than the twin row. Of course cooling is sacrificed.

14" SPAL radiator fan:

http://www.jaycorptech.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=23&categoryid=2

The ea81 radiator is alot easier for the radiator shop to modify to work with ej hoses. My guy here modified the lower ea81 radiator pipe with a bigger outlet that pointed in a way that the lift kit would appreciate (90 degree elbow) but for the ea82 radiator hes taking the inlet and outlet pipes and swapping them. This way the top one will have a 90 degree bend and point right into the ej water pipe and the lower one will be a straight out outlet. Ill still have to use flex radiator hoses from Napa that have different inlet and outlet diameters but thats doable.

"The single row radiator ea82 seems to be a better fit than the twin row. Of course cooling is sacrificed."

If you want to make sure you've got plenty of cooling capacity, the 90-92 Legacy rad fits in the EA82 body with some modification to the radiator support. The lower mounts are the same. Depending on how it's set up, clearance between the engine and the rad might be tight...I ended up running a fan in front of the radiator since there wasn't room, but I could have move the radiator forward more by messing around with the radiator support.

"The single row radiator ea82 seems to be a better fit than the twin row. Of course cooling is sacrificed."

If you want to make sure you've got plenty of cooling capacity, the 90-92 Legacy rad fits in the EA82 body with some modification to the radiator support. The lower mounts are the same. Depending on how it's set up, clearance between the engine and the rad might be tight...I ended up running a fan in front of the radiator since there wasn't room, but I could have move the radiator forward more by messing around with the radiator support.

I tried getting my '92 legacy radiator to fit in there, and had nothing but problems. and since I don't have easy access to a welder, I wasn't about to go cutting and pasting. it was so easy to just get the napa bushings to adapt the lines, and plug it in. and it's been more than enough cooling power, even for the daily hillclimb that is the city of duluth (been called little San Fran more than a few times).

I also had to mount a fan on the front of the radiator too, definately no room for any stock EA82 or EJ22 fan on there, maybe a slim EA81 one...but I didn't have one to try.

have any pics of how you modified the support to get it to fit? I'd love to add that!

Here's my list:

conversion page notes

homemade adapter plates may not center the bellhousings relative to each other (via the 4 pins on the sides), paying for a precision laser/CNC cut plate may be worth it. If the bellhousings are not centered perfectly, it will pressurize the transmission input shaft in the direction of the misalignment, risking failure of the transmission input shaft front bearing. (thanks to Jerry/bratsrus)

in the back of the EJ engine - in addtion to replacing the crank pulley, replace the O-ring in the small cover on the driver's side, and reseal the large cover on the passenger's side - watch out for the plastic cover vs metal, "upgrade" to metal if you have the plastic cover, as the plastic's prone to failure.

clutch - xt6/heavy duty pressure plate is necessary, clutch disc is generic between XT6/etc

EA82 crossmember accepts the motor mount holes without widening (round EJ mounts)

EJ mounts may have a centering nipple that needs to be ground off as there is no receiving hole in the EA crossmember as there is in the EJ crossmember.

radiator hoses

flex hose is really stiff and not recommended for use in a lifted rig as the bends are very sharp - this could compromise the inlets on the radiator over time

EA81 skinny fan fits fine in front of A/C condenser - with the radiator support and hood latch removed. Replace the center radiator support with two "1/3" supports (?) and use hood pins.

May not flow enough air though, haven't driven it yet. Tube bumper instead of stock will help with airflow.

EJ22 Y-pipe may rub on the crossmembers - shim it down by stacking an extra flange onto the y-pipe's flanges? (1cm drop)

weld a bung for EA82 temp sensor into actual radiator? (EJ sensor not compatible with EA gauge, add EA sensor separately from ECU's circuit with the EJ sensor)

I also have a really nice looking install of the EJ MAF to the EA airbox...

This is a run of the mill hardware store clamp of some sort.. It has a rubber liner inside of the steel clamp. I cut the rubber liner lengthwise and narrowed the diameter by a few cm and glued it back to itself with black RTV silicone, to great effect. I then glued it onto the intake boot with more RTV and slightly beveled the lip inside the sleeve.. one end of the tube is a little narrower than the other IIRC. I could get more of these from wherever-I-got-them if anybody would like.

img0006oj8.jpg

img0007pr8.jpg

For my lower radiator hose (my radiator has the outlets modified to match the size of the EJ22, with the lower outlet given a right angle bend down) I will use Napa #9521. A right angle bend is not optimal as it reduces the clearance between the outlet and the radiator support corner brace; 45deg. would have been better, or building the outlet to come an extra 1/2" - 1" from the radiator before bending down would have been better.

The part number for the heater hoses I used is Napa #10868 (x2). Each is a long hose with a right angle bend at each end. I trimmed a few inches out of the middle of each, making 4 shorter hoses with right angle bends. Then I put right angle heater hose elbow from the "HELP!" aisle at the auto parts store to push them up over the starter, wiring, etc.

img0002bc9.jpg

img0003xs9.jpg

in the back of the EJ engine - in addtion to replacing the crank pulley, replace the O-ring in the small cover on the driver's side, and reseal the large cover on the passenger's side - watch out for the plastic cover vs metal, "upgrade" to metal if you have the plastic cover, as the plastic's prone to failure.

:confused: I have no idea what it is that you're talking about.....just maintenence things that should be done while the engine is out?

clutch - xt6/heavy duty pressure plate is necessary, clutch disc is generic between XT6/etc

actually...my 4-cyl EA82 PP is holding quite well....

EJ22 Y-pipe may rub on the crossmembers - shim it down by stacking an extra flange onto the y-pipe's flanges? (1cm drop)

I didn't have this problem....what year was your donor car?

weld a bung for EA82 temp sensor into actual radiator? (EJ sensor not compatible with EA gauge, add EA sensor separately from ECU's circuit with the EJ sensor)

not completely incompatible (is that a word?), just different resistance. it still works, but if the needle makes it up to halfway, the motor's toast.

I also have a really nice looking install of the EJ MAF to the EA airbox... pics tomorrow.

I wanted to do this....but the MAF comes into the air box at different angles. adapting the MAF wouldn't be too hard, looked like just a matter of drilling new holes. maybe you're using an impreza intake plenum.....

why did you use the little right angle bends on the heater hoses? I just used about a bit over a foot of straight hosing. worked awesome

and what's that line you're holding? just A/C?

your wagon is lifted....isn't it? I have a feeling that's why we've got a few discrepencies.

answers in quote body......

:confused: I have no idea what it is that you're talking about.....just maintenence things that should be done while the engine is out?

yes.

actually...my 4-cyl EA82 PP is holding quite well....

that's great.. my remark was addressed at the suggestion that the clutch disc needs to be swapped, when if you have to upgrade the clutch it's because of the pressure plate, not the disc. If you don't need to upgrade, then so much the better for you ;)

I didn't have this problem....what year was your donor car? 1986 EA82T w/ RX transmission

not completely incompatible (is that a word?), just different resistance. it still works, but if the needle makes it up to halfway, the motor's toast.

agreed.

I wanted to do this....but the MAF comes into the air box at different angles. adapting the MAF wouldn't be too hard, looked like just a matter of drilling new holes. maybe you're using an impreza intake plenum.....

i drilled new holes in the airbox to accept the MAF and then cut the plenum at a certain angle. I'll admit I went through three of them before finding the proper angle at which to cut.. because each stretched differently in the section with the accordion joint - fortunately they charge $3 each per plenum where I get my parts!

my plenum is a legacy plenum; i redrilled the holes in the airbox and I planed 2-3mm off of the edges of the MAF where it would bump the airbox.. pics soon!

why did you use the little right angle bends on the heater hoses? I just used about a bit over a foot of straight hosing. worked awesome

I chose to go with prebent hose. as long as your hose isn't rubbing on anything, you're fine.

and what's that line you're holding? just A/C?yes.

your wagon is lifted....isn't it? I have a feeling that's why we've got a few discrepencies.yes, probably...

if you have auto tranny outlets on your radiator a brass adaptor would be rather easy to find.

• 2 weeks later...

Picture of home made precision adapter plate. Why yes, we do hapen to have a Bridgeport in our garage.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13180&cat=500&ppuser=4164

Uses dowel pins from both, fit like a glove.

THe offset Studs were made using a jig to hold them while we welded. You thread them into the engine, slap the plate on and it locks them in position, then slide the tranny on a put the 4 nuts on.

• 1 month later...

bump.gif

I've finished compiling as much text as is needed regarding everything but wiring. I've decided not to use the Geocities site, just too hard to get that much information into a good format.

anyway, I've got 9 pages, with 3 pictures, and nothing about wiring....everything touched on in this thread, and the one I linked in the first post, is included.

anyone want to add anything?

I'm starting on wiring now....tons of good information. I would like to get this .doc file uploaded to our school server for you guys to look over before I add all the pictures and import it into a .pdf file.