Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA to EJ conversion site needs your input

Numbchux

I see alot of info on adapting the EJ to fit on an ea82 MT. Redrilling of flywheel holes and such. But what about to an automatic? Would an original EJ flexplate bolt to the EA automatics torque converter. I am specifically wondering about the "Full Time" 4wd automatic. (early 4EAT). Are the torque converters the same size/bolt pattern? This would be good for the website if anyone knows or finds out.

Presumably you could modify the flexplate by altering the bolt pattern, just like with the flywheel.

no no. What i mean is get my EJ from an automatic. Use it's flexplate, no mods to the crankshaft bolt pattern, just leave it on. Will it's OUTER holes where it attaches to the Torque Converter line up with the older EA torque converter?

no no. What i mean is get my EJ from an automatic. Use it's flexplate, no mods to the crankshaft bolt pattern, just leave it on. Will it's OUTER holes where it attaches to the Torque Converter line up with the older EA torque converter?

I'm 90% sure that they're different diameter. I'll check in a couple days when I'm down at my parents' place (where most of my spare parts are...) if noone else confirms this.

I'm 90% sure that they're different diameter. I'll check in a couple days when I'm down at my parents' place (where most of my spare parts are...) if noone else confirms this.

Do you have an early 4eat out of an EA car? Cause I think the 3spds used a slightly smaller converter according to my FSM. So the comparison would really be off unless you can compare an EJ and an EA 4spd. I'm affraid i have the hardest car to find info for. I can't even find it's excact configuration in the FSM. GL(not GL-10) turbocharged, Fulltime 4wd, 4spd auto. I only find Manual tranny GL's with the turbo/fulltime4wd. But yet I drive it every day and it's definatley not a conversion. It is the same 4spd as the GL-10 version used though.

Do you have an early 4eat out of an EA car? Cause I think the 3spds used a slightly smaller converter according to my FSM. So the comparison would really be off unless you can compare an EJ and an EA 4spd. I'm affraid i have the hardest car to find info for. I can't even find it's excact configuration in the FSM. GL(not GL-10) turbocharged, Fulltime 4wd, 4spd auto. I only find Manual tranny GL's with the turbo/fulltime4wd. But yet I drive it every day and it's definatley not a conversion. It is the same 4spd as the GL-10 version used though.

that could be....

the GL-10 only refers to a trim level. interior options and such. the tranny will be the same.

that could be....

the GL-10 only refers to a trim level. interior options and such. the tranny will be the same.

Right. That's the conclusion I came to. I still need to know if the torque converters and flexplates are the same from this early 4EAT to the newer ones from a legacy, impreza etc... still hopeful that some knows or else I'm gonna have to just tear into mine and see