Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A question about a VW syncro I saw today

GLCraig

I spotted a Syncro at the tire store today and noticed that is was a 4wd, was that on option or was it a conversion? The owner of it was driving off with some new BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/As. IT did look pretty good.

you mean 4wd or awd? they came awd with locking hubs from VW.

DSC_0087.jpg

Some decals even say 4 x 4, they aren't. AWD with viscous coupling to engage front wheels when slippage occurs. Some have optional vacuum operated locking differential in the rear( europe had front as well ) they also have a low crawler gear but it would be nicer to hav a full low range like the 80's Subarus. Mine has 15" bfg on modified passat wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

While it is a very common conversion, there are some drawbacks. Ground clearance is the major issue even with a shortened oilpan, the engine sticks down pretty low. I went with a rebuilt that has more displacement, cam to match, forged rods, and coated pistons. It is now 2.4 L and gets out of it's own way on the highway. The power is similar to a 2.2 L subaru and enough for the almost 20 yr old transmission. If I was going to do alot of highway miles with it I would have looked into a sohc 2.5 or svx 6cylinder.

This van sees a lot of back roads, and the occasional run down the Columbia Gorge. After replacing the engine I am now trying to update the FI system, which is one of the main advantages to converting to subaru. Maybe " the next van" .

I wish they made the BFG's to fit 205/55/16

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, could you tell me if your steel wheels had the centers drilled out or just useing the spacers or maybe both...thanks

DSC_0087.jpg

Some decals even say 4 x 4, they aren't. AWD with viscous coupling to engage front wheels when slippage occurs. Some have optional vacuum operated locking differential in the rear( europe had front as well ) they also have a low crawler gear but it would be nicer to hav a full low range like the 80's Subarus. Mine has 15" bfg on modified passat wheels.

• 3 weeks later...