Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The bloody DOL is retarded

Over the last couple of weeks i've been helping my brother get his car ready so that he can go take his drivers test.

We swapped out the broken air suspension for some regualr shocks and springs on his '86 XT-T. We replaced the horns, and we even replaced his old sealed beams with some Hella H4 conversion lenses.

Today was the day, so he went down to the DOL to take his test. Then was told he couldn't because the 3rd brake light was out/not functioning.

Since when is a 3rd brake light required? Was it required on the car when it was made? This is infuriating.

Whats even worse, is the soonest he can get back in is the 27th of this month. Both his brand new job and school start before then, looks like my parents will have to help him get to those :-/

So... what size bulb do I need for the 3rd brake light on an '86 XT?

@#$^& I didn't even know that car had a 3rd brake light!!

What did he do to tick them off? I've never seen anyone rejected for a mechanical or electrical problem that wasn't related to emissions. This is too weird; and why should he wait until the 27th; just take it in tomorrow (or is he out of state?).

Over the last couple of weeks i've been helping my brother get his car ready so that he can go take his drivers test.

We swapped out the broken air suspension for some regualr shocks and springs on his '86 XT-T. We replaced the horns, and we even replaced his old sealed beams with some Hella H4 conversion lenses.

Today was the day, so he went down to the DOL to take his test. Then was told he couldn't because the 3rd brake light was out/not functioning.

Since when is a 3rd brake light required? Was it required on the car when it was made? This is infuriating.

Whats even worse, is the soonest he can get back in is the 27th of this month. Both his brand new job and school start before then, looks like my parents will have to help him get to those :-/

So... what size bulb do I need for the 3rd brake light on an '86 XT?

@#$^& I didn't even know that car had a 3rd brake light!!

That's the real PITA thing in WA- If a light is on the vehicle, even if it's not from the factory, it has to be functional. I used to run into that a lot with clearance lights on pickups, if one is out you can get a ticket for it.

A third brake light wasn't required on cars until 89, and not on trucks until 92 or 93, but some companies used them before that.

I'd try different DOL stations, there are usually two in each county that test drivers.