Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Im pimpin out my 79 brat and need some info...

Subaru_Mechanic

Like Jobs said, garner, who doesn't frequent this board very often, if at all, swapped an EA82T and pushbutton 4wd 5-speed into his gen 1 Brat. A lot of fab work and fitting that you have to do. The frame rails up front would have to b cut out a bit to make enough room for the valve covers. Here's a link to his pics...

http://usmb.net/gallery/garners-sub-a-rama

I would go with an EA81 myself. The only problem with EA81Ts is the fact that its harder to find them and harder to find parts for them as well. I'm putting an EA81 and single range 4-speed into my gen 1 Brat since it is also a street Brat (lowered, shaved everything, the works). It'll be a direct bolt in procedure but the tranny mount I think is going to give me some issues. I got a welder though! I did have a high compression JDM EA71 in my Brat when I still had it on the road. Sold it though, which is a bummer... Here's my pics...

http://rides.webshots.com/album/302432023YUcDSD

its in the off road cause its a 4x4 and im going to be lifting it soon

i'm pretty sure this should still be in the retrofitting section... but anywho... i'll lend my advice...

if you want an off-roader don't get a turbo... there are a few people on here that use them, but for the most part, it isn't done because of the high RPM needed to make the turbo go...(bad for crawling)

and you also cannot use a conventional body lift like the gen2 cars... gen1's you can lift, but you still won't be able to put on bigger tires... go look at your rear suspension... look at where the trailing arm attaches to the rest of the rear suspension.. the torsion bar mount sticks out over the tread of the tire, so even if you lift it you'll still only be able to put on tires until they hit that point... the solution? put on ea81 suspension...

i'm in the proccess of doing this and i'll get back to you when i have it all sorted out...

engine wise again... if you want to keep it simple, go with an ea81 with d/r trans... if you really really want a turbo, your best bet is the ea81t... or you can do what i'm doing and use an ej22... or of you still want a turbo after that, ej22t... i was debating doing this but desided against it since it is 100 times more complex and it'll guzzle the premium gas...

hope that helps!

Good luck!