Ultimate Subaru Message Board

info on 87 RX trans? manual?

Zefy

i am about to dive head first into taking appart my RX trans so i can put 23 spline axle stubs into it...

however i'm scared shizzitless that i'm gonna bugger it up...:(

anybody ever done this before and perhaps have a FSM or something that i could borrow???

perhaps a digital one? some helpfull tips?

and just for note i have rebuilt my s/r 4sp trans before (but i buggered it up... didn't stay in 4wd...) so i'm not new (well... really new) to this... the RX trans is way more complicated though...

thanks!

on the XT6 automatics the stubby shaft that the cv slides over just pulls out by hand. put an axle on it, then yank on the axle and the stubby shaft pops out. i've never done it on a manual, but always assumed it would be set up the same way. has the circlips at the base that hold it in place like i mentioned in your rear differential thread.

i don't quite know the year but it is a FT4WD d/r 5sp with the centre locking diff...

so i don't need to rip into the trans to do this? there are clips?

and this is an odd ball... but i am gonna use the 23 spline stubs from the 79 brat trans... (s/r 4sp)

i know that the 5sp d/r will work... but will these old beasts do the trick???

thanks!