Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grease Fittings & Universal Joints

Unlike Jeeps, Subaru's use CV joints
not exactly. depends what he's talking about. you're talking about the axles. subaru's have Ujoints on the driveshaft. they are not greaseable like other Ujoints. they are sealed and "non-replaceable" by most mechanics definitions. if they fail you'll have to install another driveshaft as the ujoints are not replaceable in the typical sense. Rockford makes ujoints to replace the subaru non-replaceable ujoints but it does take some skill to install them. i have a set installed on my driveshaft and they are greaseable. they are also replaceable now. the sealed ones require less maintenance and don't fail as often (but whether that's attributable to the design or usage/type of vehicle is debatable).

Right, Gary, I'm talking about the propeller shafts, not the halfshafts. I just greased the '91 Cherokee today and it was all new to me. I just picked up this car for my wife from her mom, and this is the first car I've owned that requires this type of routine chassis maitenance. Before this, I never really knew why grease guns were so important. Those zerk fittings are pretty cool, which on this Cherokee, are also mounted on the ball joints and tie rods.

You're right, ferret, this jeep has solid axles lubricated by gear oil with double cardan joints-- no cv joints.

Just curoius -- I found that my 91 Cherokee has grease fittings on the univeral joints.

I assume the u-joints on newer generation Subarus are sealed? Any advantages or disadvantages?

The subarus have a driveshaft that goes to the rear wheels. In the center of the car is a carrier bearing, and there are 4 sealed universal joints. When the center joint foes, its a comon practice to take it to a drive shaft shop and have it replaced with a ford ranger ( i think, been a while since i had it done).

If the car only lasted 180-200,000 miles it would be ok. But cine they go far beyond that, when they go (not often) they need to be replaced. With the grease fittings they will last for ever.

nipper

If you are not use to greasing these, please be aware that you dont want to put to many pumps in the places that have the rubber boots because they will bust open and then it is hard to keep grease in them. You will see the boot start to fill after about two pumps maybe three if it is really dry, then stop.

Just curoius -- I found that my 91 Cherokee has grease fittings on the univeral joints.

I assume the u-joints on newer generation Subarus are sealed? Any advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks for the advice, tcspeer. Nipper, I think new gen subie owners just don't won't to fuss with the grease because these grease fittings seem like the way to go.

it goes with trying to make cars as maint free as possible. Grease fittings have been disapearing since the late 1970's

nipper

Maintenance-free often times = ____ for dummies. Sometimes I marvel at how automakers can put out a sophisticated piece of equipment that the average joe or jane can use without a worry in the world. It's amazing how it all works (for the most part), but for fellas on this board, an ounce of prevention ...

I would much rather pump in some grease when I have my hands dirty than than pay out the nose at a later point.

Of course, I understand that the majority of owners unload their cars long before any of these parts ever pose problem.

Yes, greaseable components rock! My 1960 Triumph TR3 has about 17 of them.

Be especially careful not to pump away on these. When you start to see the boot move, as in the grease is inflating it, slow down until it appears to be nearly full. If you overpump, you can blow out the boot, although usually it'll just blob out some grease and come undone. If this happens, squeeze out some grease and reseat the boot.

Zerk fiitings on cars are rapidly disappearing - unfortunately.

Jack

• Like 1