Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seattle Area Machine Shop

Im currently in the process of rebuilding an EA81. I took the engine into a machine shop and they quoted me $600 for the work that needed to be done. This engine ran fine when i disasembled it but i though that it was probaly a good idea to have it worked on before i put it all back together.

Heres the brake down

$200 for the head work (not including any new valves)

$40 to have the cylenders rehoned (i've heard that this is sometimes not needed how do you tell)

$50 for Guide work (what exactly does this mean)

$190 for a crank kit (was told that it is cheaper then turning the crank it comes with bearings)

$89 for a gasket set

Im looking for opions is this a good deal, is all of this needed, is there some where in town that people have used and had good luck.

Thanks

David

Dont have a clue who you went to, most EA81 owners that I know do thier own work. If you can still see the cross hatching on the cylinder walls and there isnt a big ridge on the top rim, they are fine. You can get a crate engine from Japan for $300-$400 and they usually only have 30K+/- on them.

The guides are for the valve stems, all head work should include them with a valve grind also. The price on that seems a little steep, but I could be wrong-I've never had it done. But a head milling I did just have done, it cost $75 for both heads.

If the engine didnt blow smoke or have a rod knock, it should last for a long time to come. I say put it back together and keep on trucking(or Soob'n)

$190 for a crank kit? IIRC, Shadow had the one I bought from him done for $150. That was turned, with new undersized main and rod bearings to match. Looks real pretty. Sadly he never had a chance to use it as the engine it was to go in (EA81T) was destroyed in a garage fire. Needless to say I got a good deal on it :slobber:

Heads are usually around $70 for milling (Turbone has tax too) around here. Maybe a little more for guides, but I would say you most likely don't need those. Probably just stem seals.

I would say you don't need a hone if you can see the factory cross-hatching. A simple bottle brush swipe will do for seating the new rings. 5 strokes with the block in a parts washing tank full of solvent. Ring sets are about $50 for the chrome variety.

Go with ONLY the Fel-Pro gasket set. Cost is a little more, but the gaskets are superior. Then get the intake, exhaust, oil pump, oil pan, and rocker cover seals from the dealer.

GD

The JDM EJ20 is the better deal on there $450 for a 150 HP EJ. Nice. Use the extra $100 for the adaptor plate.

GD

oompy...

but if i put that in my gl-10 it would trash the unibody, too much vroom. :(

what else would be needed to make the conversion, wiring and ecu out of...? sorry to be so lazy and threadjack, but its an idle pipe dream that just came up.. i hadnt bothered looking at that link yet, just filed it away for future search purposes if needed. thats a cheap motor.

oompy...

but if i put that in my gl-10 it would trash the unibody, too much vroom. :(

what else would be needed to make the conversion, wiring and ecu out of...? sorry to be so lazy and threadjack, but its an idle pipe dream that just came up.. i hadnt bothered looking at that link yet, just filed it away for future search purposes if needed. thats a cheap motor.

Part of the problem is the ECU and wireing. I'm sure the wireing is similar between the EJ18 and the EJ20, but some work would be needed obviously. Maybe it would be possible to get the JDM wireing and ECU as well. That would be ideal. Or just build a mega-squirt for it using an EJ18 harness.

GD

I was thinkin there were still EA81 crates out there.. :( I'm afraid of the EJ20 swap... :(

but why tho?? its 150 all motor hp, instant throttle!!!!

VROOM!!!! can you imagine that in your what, 2500 pound soob?? i dunno what you drive, but it cant weigh much, and maybe even less than that. thems good numbers.

but as GD posted, its a bit technical.....just, what an idea, huh???? :horse:

what year make and model subees came with the ej20 stock?

thats where you'll find your donor wiring harnesses & ecus.

I take it that the ej20 doesnt bolt up to the older transmissions? (wishful thinking)

Not true. EJ22T harnesses will work for the conversion. Need to add a couple extra wires and it's good to go.

David, if you are considerring this swap you really need to talk with someone who has done it. Not those who think they know the answers.

If you are serious and need info and people to talk to pm me for that info.

Not true. EJ22T harnesses will work for the conversion. Need to add a couple extra wires and it's good to go.

David, if you are considerring this swap you really need to talk with someone who has done it. Not those who think they know the answers.

If you are serious and need info and people to talk to pm me for that info.

nah, we threadjacked this one bad.

sorry.

the original poster was just trying to get leads on less expensive machine shop work for his ea-81, then someone said in the course of their comment that you could get used engines from japan for 3-400, someone else asked for a link, and it was all downhill from there.

sorry david!

Why would you use a Turbo harness for a non-turbo engine? That just doesn't make sense to me..... what's the reason? I would like to know.

The EJ18 is by far the most simple of the EJ wireing harnesses.... and the JDM engines tend to be a lot simpler for emissions and such. On the other hand the EJ22 N/A is closer in HP to the JDM EJ20, so might be more applicable to use it's ECU. Maybe a combination of the two. I really don't know, but I'm sure over in the new gen forum there's folks that do....

GD