Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping the 3 main bearings... I could assume not. if it is just a small version of the 4 cammed over-valved giants, it is a ridiculous engine. I have seen this before, I wondered if it was at the paris show last year..

My memory is horrible. :)

I would consider buying a car with a small engine if the car were also small and lightweight, with an emphasis on mpg over performance and a price tag to match the latest generation of compact cars. I would use it for daily commuting. But putting a 1.5 L engine into a car like the impreza doesn't seem too swift to me.

Subaru sells some econo-boxes in Japan, the R1 and R2 I think they are called, that look cool.

Matt

Any and all 4cyl EJ engines have 5 main bearings.

Why would you want it to have 3 main bearings??

My unrealistic side would want to get one of these 1.5 engines and see how much power I can get out of it :grin:

3 main bearings have a 60 year time in this world to prove mechanics and those that prove 3 main bearing a world record breakin durability. :)

They are still in aircraft......

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I am back to subaru. I ordered an Impreza 1.5R Sports Wagon 5Spd MT with Dual Range. It will be here in december.

I had the chance to take 2 testdrives (nearly 20 miles) and I am impressed. This little engine is a lot stronger than the old Impreza 1.6TS we got here. In combination with the dual range transmission, this little engine pulls strong and is quite fast enough.

You must not make the mistake and compare the 1.5R to the WRX or STI. Of course its lame if you compare it to them, but the 1.5R is not a sports car, its more like the old Leones oder Loyales. Its a utility car. Its cheap to run, its practical, it gets you everywhere you want to go and it has character.

I´m looking forward getting my 1.5R in december, it will be urban grey.

Lukas

My unrealistic side would want to get one of these 1.5 engines and see how much power I can get out of it :grin:

The first thing I thought was...

"Hmm...400HP...40 mpg...it's do-able."

I am trying ever-so-hard to get my mother to trade in her '05 Sentra SE for one of those. I just might have pushed her hard enough. Hopefully she does it. I really want to drive that thing and see just how gutless it really is.

It depends on where you are driving. Around here, there are many hills and and the roads are quite curvy.

The 7,9 litres is the mixed fuel consumption für city driving, country roads and Autobahn.

For example, my dads Outback 2,5i MT DR needs 9 litres on 100km.

Lukas

I think the point is increased gas mileage, nothing wrong with that.

How? How? THink how much more the engine has to struggle anyway? These cars are definitly not the lightest on the road, and with a smaller engine, it will stuggle more, and therefore use more fuel, but we will see how these 1.5l engines work out? Right?

Gutless...even my 1991 Legacy has more power. 1.5L!? Sorry, no thanks.

EXACTLY!! who wants a 1.5l!! how am i saving the enviroment, im going to have to WOT everytime i take off in order for the car to roll, ROFL. 2.2l would be cool if they brought it back.

EXACTLY!! who wants a 1.5l!! how am i saving the enviroment, im going to have to WOT everytime i take off in order for the car to roll, ROFL. 2.2l would be cool if they brought it back.

My understanding is that internal combustion engines are most efficient near or at WOT. I.e. a 1.5 liter run at WOT versus a 2.2 at 70% throttle, producing the same HP and Torque output as the 1.5 @ WOT, the 1.5 would have lower fuel consumption. Also, remember that it only takes between 5-10 HP to maintain a car at a steady 60 mph (This is specced as "road horsepower" sometimes in car tests.)

Also remember how incredibly expensive gas is in Europe. Do I want an Impreza 1.5?-- no. But I'm sure it makes sense for someone else who has different driving priorities. You do have to wonder what the "R" stands for! Definitely not the same thing as when it's on a Honda badge!

Hmm. Maybe it stands for "Range."

Nathan

great gas mileage maybe?....back to the old EA82 days and 40 mpg (35 for all the non-XT guys).

uh you must be driving that thing on the moon bro...no way an EA82 ever got better than 35 mpg, I dont care if it was SPFI and driven by ms. daisy that just isnt true.

2.2l would be cool if they brought it back.

yeah it would...especially if it came with a Dual Range. I wonder what the hell SOA was thinking when they decided to bring it back in an Impreza...they shoulda put it in something else. Im still trying to figure out how the heck to get one of dual range trans they've been making forever in south america up here and plop it behind my phase II 2.2.