Ultimate Subaru Message Board

on a 90 legacy ls. the power light flashes me a duty solonoid b code. the car drives and shifts great. the car has new brakes and rotors but it shakes when the brakes are put on. i can feel the vibration in the pedal also. it does not pull to one side. it has abs.

on a 90 legacy ls. the power light flashes me a duty solonoid b code. the car drives and shifts great. the car has new brakes and rotors but it shakes when the brakes are put on. i can feel the vibration in the pedal also. it does not pull to one side. it has abs.

i thnk B is the lock up torque converter, not sure.Are your rotors warped or out of round from having the lug nuts overtorqued? Wheel bearings?

nipper

new rotors were put on and their was no change. it feels like the whole car is doing it not just one wheel. the guy we got it from said something about checking the proportioning valve. it feels like it takes a little more force on the pedal to stop it than normal

new rotors were put on and their was no change. it feels like the whole car is doing it not just one wheel. the guy we got it from said something about checking the proportioning valve. it feels like it takes a little more force on the pedal to stop it than normal

if they over tighten the lug nuts on the wheels they can warp the rotors.

Inspect the tires for broken belts

never go back to the guy that said purportioning valve.

who did the brakes?

What kind of pads were put in

Could be improperly installed pads, loose caliper, there is a list,,

in fact, overtightening lugs is the only way to get warped rotors assuming they were straight in the first place.

How long were they on and were they bedded in properly? I kind of doubt the problem is thickness variation so maybe a caliper bolt is loose or something.

It could even be an alignment or wheel balance problem or something loose or damaged/worn out in the suspension/steering.

Ok here is a list

Wheel bearings

seized/bad cv joint

bent wheel

broken belt in a tire

wheel balance (can happen at any specific speed but will always repeat)

bad suspension component

bad tie rods

loose calipers

warped rotors (they can warp real fast if improperly installed or el cheapos)

ABS would not make the car shake, just the brake pedal.

APply the parking brake while moving this will maybe help tell if it is front or rear.

Does it do it in reverse, or any change in reverse

Turning any effect on it?

nipper

if it was wheel balance wouldn't the car shake even without the brakes on? the car rides smooth and drives strait until the brakes are used. if it was a loose bolt i would think that it would have been tightened when the new pads were put on.

sometimes mechanics forget to tighten things. I got an alignment awhile ago and had kind of a strange loose feeling on right corners. When I pulled the left front wheel off to take a look I found the bolt that attaches the strut to the knuckle was loose. Hopefully mentioning that will get me a free alignment after I install new balljoints and camber bolts next weekend.

It is probably something with the caliper though. It's probably a good idea to take it back and have them make sure everything is tight, the slide pins are in good shape, and the rotors are straight.

If you brake hard does abs kick in and work properly?

nipper: if one of the things you listed was the problem, would the car still drive normal. the car feels perfectly normal otherwise.

if it was one of the calipers wouldn't it pull the car to one side.

to my it feels like the whole brake system is vibrating not just one wheel.

nipper: if one of the things you listed was the problem, would the car still drive normal. the car feels perfectly normal otherwise.

if it was one of the calipers wouldn't it pull the car to one side.

to my it feels like the whole brake system is vibrating not just one wheel.

The brake calipers are held on by one bolt, and another it swings on. If one is loose you will get chatter.

Rule out the ABS, pull the fuse.

If you rember your science lasses, you should (i hope) know what frequency it and vibrations are. a vibration can occur at specific frquencies, but not others, frequency being car speed.

Lets rule out the abs first.

Now how many miles on this. The B solenoid can be keeping the torque converter locked up longer then it should be when breaking.

Try braking the car in Low, Drive2 Drive3 and see what happens.

nipper