Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 Justy Ignition Module Location?

Gene

Can anyone please tell me exactly WHERE to find the ignition module in a 1988 4WD Justy? I've been told it's in the distributor, (dist. or "dizzy" ign. module). I have an original 1988 Justy Factory Shop Manual, (the big, fat one), and nowhere does it even list or mention an ignition module or distributor ignition module. It even has the exploded view of the distributor and no ignition module is shown or is any ignition module shown in any diagram.

I want to try replacing it as I'm still having the mystifying dying problems. Any help would be really appreciated.

It is the first generation, (1987-88), carb model.

I don't think the complete distributor has to be changed, but? Like I say, the exploded view of the distributor, showing all parts, shows nothing concerning an ignition module.

RONAN, I think that's the ECU, (engine control unit), you're talking about.

I just went through an episode of electrical frustration that led me to remove the entire dash. I could be wrong but take a look all the same. The ECU is a flat rectangular box about 8"x10" that is towards the back corner under the dash. What I`m referring to is mounted right up under the bottom of the dash on the side-wall above the hood release cable. Check it out and tell me what it says.

Checked it out RONAN and there is a small metal box about 3"X3" and it says; "SUBARU IGNITION CONT" on it with some part numbers. It's right where you said and mounted on the side wall with two screws. The larger ECU is just to the right of it and mounted on the front firewall. There's a connector with a loom pugged into it that seems to go to the distributor, coil, and ignition switch. Could this actually be the elusive "distributor ignition module" everyone talks about?

I've had this dying problem with my Justy where it just dies instantly at any speed with no warning whatsoever. I posted about this here several times and people said to replace the distributor ignition module. I could never find it and some folks said it was in the distributor but I guarantee you it's not, at least not in a 1988 Justy.