Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Loyale 4dr 2wd

Spockva

Ok, I am really annoyed with my Subaru. The right channel of the stereo cuts in and out spasmodically when the engine is running. Only the right channel does this and only when the engine is running. It seems to diminish slightly in intensity when the brake pedal is pushed down. It occurrs randomly and the sound only goes off for a second, making it sound like static some times. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I forgot, it only has speakers in the doors, none under the rear deck.

I had a problem with my stereo that sounds familiar...it would only turn on after I applied the brakes. I would suspect a damaged speaker lead or a loose connection at the speaker (factory speakers have a solder connection on the speaker that could be cracked).

If you have the inclination, I would rewire the speakers. It is an easy job and might be easier than trying to track down a damaged wire. The hardest thing about the job is getting the little clip on the window crank off so you can pull the door panels.

Kevin

uhm, if i recall correctly, your car didnt come from the factory with rear speakers. I may be wrong but as we got into the 90s subaru was pulling options out of the loyale and concentrating on the legacy and newer series more.. this car became the econobox, and ultimately got the boot... so they started cutting things out, and rear speakers went somewhere along the line.

i would recommend running new speaker wire and installing a new stereo.. its the most thorough way to fix this problem. i know its not cheap, but at least you should have a normal sized stereo.. the older loyale/GLs had a slightly smaller than standard size, and we have to buy an install kit to put an aftermarket head unit in if we want to.

My 92 Loyale requires an adapter plate for the new stereos...I have been driving for nearly a year with what I thought was an electrical gremlin with my syereo until I finally pulled it and we hooked it up to someone elses car and it turns out to be a bad stereo ( already aftermarket 200 watt JVC)

Its such an easy job replacing the stereos in these cars..one of the easiest I have done

Ok, I am really annoyed with my Subaru. The right channel of the stereo cuts in and out spasmodically when the engine is running. Only the right channel does this and only when the engine is running. It seems to diminish slightly in intensity when the brake pedal is pushed down. It occurrs randomly and the sound only goes off for a second, making it sound like static some times. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I forgot, it only has speakers in the doors, none under the rear deck.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I did do a little more poking around and discovered that the right speaker voice coil is blown so I guess there is an intermittent loss of contact in the coil itself. Will start by replacing that if I can get a replacement for a decent price. Thanks again!!