Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with my list, I'm taking my car into the shop

I'm talking to the auto shop and here is what I'm considering. My car is a 97 Impreza w/ 79k miles.

- Oil Change + New Oil Filter

- Alightnment/Rotation

- New Timing Belt

- New Water Pump

- Replace Cam + Crank Seals

- Reseal Oil Pump

Is any of this overkill? And am I missing anything? Because I don't want to change anything I don't need to. However I don't want to leave something out and have to end up taking it right back in if I have a problem. Thanks!

I'm talking to the auto shop and here is what I'm considering. My car is a 97 Impreza w/ 79k miles.

- Oil Change + New Oil Filter

- Alightnment/Rotation

- New Timing Belt

- New Water Pump

- Replace Cam + Crank Seals

- Reseal Oil Pump

Is any of this overkill? And am I missing anything? Because I don't want to change anything I don't need to. However I don't want to leave something out and have to end up taking it right back in if I have a problem. Thanks!

Are the cam (timing) belts original? They're overdue if they are. I think 60k mi. is what's suggested. What about the ALT/PSP/AC belt? The fuel filter might be long in the tooth. I'm not sure why you'd change the WP but you may want to change the coolant if it's getting old - the inhibitors may be used up. Not a good thing in an aluminum engine. HTH. Cheers.

IF you haven't addressed these already... or don't know as this is a 10 or 11 year young car consider these for your list.

Brake fluid flush & check the pad wear.

Tranny fluid.

Spark plugs.

Air filter? Gas filter? (or DIY)

Replace drive belts, you know alternator A/C belts. Keep the old for spares.

The new water pump will renew the antifreeze for you, how are the associated hoses? Thermostat. Good time to renew these too.

Cha Ching! Boat payment, maybe but peace of mind

:burnout:

I did a timing belt service at just over 80000 miles and here's some other things from my list:

-replaced two O-rings between cylinder heads and camshaft supports. Same part number, both were leaking. Replaced O-rings between dipistick tube and oil pan (also a pair) because the tube had to come off to reach the cam support on the left.

-replaced crankshaft pulley because rubber layer had cracks. Don't know if it was an overkill or how common those cracks are. Used new bolt and key for a good measure, they were about $5 together.

-replaced all belt rollers and the tensioner because new ones had to be on hand anyway as I didn't know what I'd find. If I was doing it at 60000 miles like it was supposed to, I wouldn't have bought those parts. If your shop has parts in stock they would replace only what's necessary, in any case.

-replaced timing cover gaskets but the old ones were usable even though the one on the bottom center was slightly distorted because of oil leak from the seals. That gasket is likely the only one that ever needs to be replaced.

-Since my choice was to remove the radiator, new hoses and thermostat were put on, also the radiator cap, and the exposed AC condenser was cleaned.

-Don't forget the heater bypass hose at water pump.

I would change the WP and termostat for sure. The last thing you wanna do after all this work is have something go wrong, overheat the thing and blow your head gaskets. Make sure you use a Subaru thermo....the aftermarket ones you get at auto parts stores are weak and will fail. If you have any significant oil leaks then it wouldn't hurt to check/replace your front main and valve cover gaskets too.

I would change the WP and termostat for sure. The last thing you wanna do after all this work is have something go wrong, overheat the thing and blow your head gaskets. Make sure you use a Subaru thermo....the aftermarket ones you get at auto parts stores are weak and will fail. If you have any significant oil leaks then it wouldn't hurt to check/replace your front main and valve cover gaskets too.

Couldnt agree more and its 9 years old. People that recommend not doing the water pump (say to do it every other time you do a timing belt) would say that you should average 15K a year and need it swapped every 4 years or so. Coolant should be changed every other year MINIMUM on a Subaru and if it hasnt been the corrosion on the WP bearing would be enough to warrant replacement as well.

Most of this has been covered, but heres my list i just ordered today from Jamie:

Flywheel

clutch cable

timing belt and tensioner

thermo

water pump

w/p gasket

cam seals

front and rear main seal

valve cover gaskets/grommets/spar plug seat

Oil seperator plate

oil pump o-ring

timing cover gaskets

oil filter

Other thing I have or will be getting soon:

new gear oil

new motor oil

new serpintine belts (gatorback)

clutch kit

Yes its original timing. A lot of people are on the fence about the WP/TB issue... Some say change it with timing belt, others say I could wait till say 150k miles, so i really dont know.

Well look at it this way, it adds only the cost of a water pump to the bill, as oposed to later on replacing the waterpump and the labor to get to it. Its just cheap insurance.

nipper

Well look at it this way, it adds only the cost of a water pump to the bill, as oposed to later on replacing the waterpump and the labor to get to it. Its just cheap insurance.

nipper

Yeah I'm taking it in friday and decided I'm doing the waterpump. I mean its 10 years old anyways, why not? ;)