Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need to seal the oil seperator plate on my 97 OBW 2.5 I see people here throw the term around "Anerobic sealant" How about a brand name? i.e 3 Bond, Permatex Grey, etc. What is the best to use here I don't want to do this job again. (yes I am updating to the metal plate)

What is easiest, removing the engine or the transmission to do this job?

Thanks,

Sam

• 6 years later...

I use ultra grey. Oil pans, oil pumps, oil separator, case halves, etc.

I know some people on here will go into a fit if you suggest ANYTHING but Anaerobic sealant. While it is better, $40 a tube and having to order online is a bit of an inconvenience to most DIYers, and I have yet to have ultra grey fail me.

I know some people on here will go into a fit if you suggest ANYTHING but Anaerobic sealant.
USMB is pretty good, about one of the best, forums for being low key. nothing like the ill informed stuff on other forums about tires, oil, et.al. like picking up stones in the tread will change the resistance of a given tire and blow up the 4WD. LMAO

and having to order online
guess that's area dependent, I've gotten it at NAPA and Advance Auto Parts. but I recall there being one bottle at times....and no wonder with that price tag:dead:

I use both.

Everybody has their preferences and there are specific times where I prefer one or another.

When there are large gaps or very uneven surfaces, I use ultra grey or the red hi temp.

All other times I use anaerobic. Mainly because it doesn't set up in air, and if you have to delay mounting or remove the part, it doesn't make a mess and can just be attached.

O.

I bought a $12 tube of Anaerobic sealant (5-6oz.) about three years ago. First thing I did was use it to reseal an oil pump. I've since used the same for 4 more oil pumps, 3 separator plates, and to reseal the case halves and tail sections on three transmissions. There is a lot of surface area to cover on a transmission case. I still have about half the tube.