Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best 2.5 motor???

Petersubaru

I am looking for a used motor and just seeking some opinions here as to the best 2.5 motor...SOHC or the DOHC...I am not sure, but I think the SOHC is newer...are there advantages or disadvantages to each one or maybe they are equally both the same...did certain years have repeated head gasket problems...Thanks

I am looking for a used motor and just seeking some opinions here as to the best 2.5 motor...SOHC or the DOHC...I am not sure, but I think the SOHC is newer...are there advantages or disadvantages to each one or maybe they are equally both the same...did certain years have repeated head gasket problems...Thanks

Best - USDM STi motor :)

I am willing to here why the ej22 is the best...it is worth more then .02 cents to me ...thanks

in 99 they went to a SOHC design and fixed thier headgasket problems. The motor didn't lose any power going from DOHC to a SOHC both still rated at 160. But still the best motor ever is the ej22 buts thats just my $.02

• 2 weeks later...

Summarizing this thread for easy consumption:

1.EJ22 is non-interference (in my opinion, this is the most important factor)

2.EJ22 wiring is simpler

3.EJ22 has a proven track record of low HG failure while the DOHC EJ25 tends to have a high failure rate in comparison and the SOHC EJ25 hasn't been around long enough to be sure. Also, the SOHC EJ25, though apparently not prone to blowing HG's, is prone to external coolant leakage from the HG's.

4.Assuming that cost is a factor, EJ22s are generally a fair bit cheaper.