Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej20g xt wont start

Lazer

I've recently installed an ej20g with gearbox and rear diff in my xt turbo. It started on the first try and continued to run fine for about a week. but now it wont start!!! :mad: it wont even missfire

I have got fuel and the injectors are opening

I have got spark on all plugs

I have got compression on all cylinders

I was measuring som sensors and the crank shaft position sensor was pulsing with 0,5v but the cams shaft posistion sensor was only pulsing with 0,2. Could this be it??

Thanks

ok time for some questions so we can get to the bottom of this.

first off what happened when the car stoped running? were you driveing it? did you park it for the night then it didnt start in the morning? did you just install something and now it wont start?

if you truly do have fuel, fire and compression you should have a running engine.

i guess the only other thing you need is air. have you tryed pushing the acc pedal down a little. maybe the IAC is stuck shut...

double check fuel... just because the fuel pump runns dose not mean you have fuel. you could try just a small shot of starting fluid in the T/B.

double check spark... make sure its blue not red or orange. a week spark will not do the trick.

and use a compression gauge to check compression.

just a few things to try. start with the basics.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

I connected up the tachometer cable and the temparature sensor cable.

Imediate after this the car would not start. I tried disconnecting those wires and replace the ecu but that didn't do a thing.

since I've got fuel, spark, compression and air I'm leaning towards that it is an timing issue. But how do i check the timing when there is no high voltage cables for placing the probe?

Yeah and I also swapped out the cam angle sensor with an new one (didn't help)

get a multimeter, and use it to look for A/C voltage between the 2 signal wires on the crank and cam angle sensors. each should generate a littlle voltage (not the same...btw, they spin at different speeds). check for this at both the plug on the engine, and on the same wires at the ECU.

this was one of the problems with my EJ swap. the sheilded wire for my cam angle sensor was not letting all of the power through. IIRC we got about .5V at the plug on the engine, and barely .15V at the ECU. so it was sparking, but not at the right time.

another thing to try, pull both the plug wires off the coil on one side, and crank it. the spark should arc to the intake manifold. it should have a relatively predictable pattern between the 2 (I don't remember if it's just back and forth, or if it sparks twice on each). That was our first clue, when we did mine, it would spark once on one, and then always on the other. When we strung some new wires (don't need to be sheilded....BTW) to this sensor, we got a regular spark pattern, and it would start with a little starting fluid in the throttle body (I still had to redo alot of things to get fuel...but that's a different story)

also, to verify that you have fuel pressure all the way across the rails, pull the regulator off (back of the passenger side head), and put a bucket under the end of the rail. turn the ignition on (don't need to crank), you should have fuel come out of there for a second.

but I'm guessing that while you were wiring the tach and temp wires, you bumped something that's causing it to not work now. probably crank or cam angle sensors.

I now have both an new crank angle sensor and cam angle sensor. The reading at the ecu is around 0.5v for the crank and 0.4v for the cam.

I hav checked and dubble checked that all the cylinders have fuel, compression and spark. I'm running out of ideas here. Please help. What can I do?