Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Future Outback owner XT vs LL Bean

Hi

We're looking to get a new 2007 Subaru Outback wagon. We've narrowed it down to the XT and the LL Bean edition. Does any one have any pro's and cons between these two vehicles. I know the XT runs on primium, which is a concern. the XT was definatly more fun to drive, but i feel we may regret getting a car that requires primium fuel.

any recomendations would be great.

thanks

Luis

Hi

We're looking to get a new 2007 Subaru Outback wagon. We've narrowed it down to the XT and the LL Bean edition. Does any one have any pro's and cons between these two vehicles. I know the XT runs on primium, which is a concern. the XT was definatly more fun to drive, but i feel we may regret getting a car that requires primium fuel.

any recomendations would be great.

thanks

Luis

Premium is not "required". It is useful only in wringing out every last bit of performance. Buy the one you want. Don't worry about the fuel.

Thanks for the responses. We'll probably test drive them both again.

As for options. Whats worth getting at the dealer vs. aftermarket. Or any other comments on the options

Things we're looking into:

Kayak rack (i currently have a thule rack for my car, but it will cost about $200 to get the thule cross rack on the subaru)

Auto start, anyone have this?

Nav, we currently have a Garmin street pilot. anyone have a Subaru nav system. any likes / dislikes.

Dog gate. this is the main reason we're getting this car. we have 3 dogs and our civic / protege isn't cutting it.

we're also getting XM, but i've wired that on our cars, and figure its better to have them put the antenna in professionally. how's the interface with the XM on the subaru radio.

thanks in advance for any responses.

The audio & heat control is one unit in the newer subarus... so you may have issues adding in another input...

and for the racks... i'd see how snug the cross bars are on the subaru setup.. if they're sort of wussy.. then upgrade.. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about getting an 05 OB XT also... going through the same thought process ;)

I have an 06 3.0R and considered getting an XT.

For the 3.0 Premium fuel is "Recommended." For the XT it's "Required." You'll find a thread here on 3.0R fuel - I often use Regular.

I had my car dyno'd and the XT puts down 10-15% more whp than the H6. Subaru seems to significantly under-rate their turbo motors. So the XT is significantly faster and you can get a manual shift version.

For a variety of reasons the H6 seems to get 10-20% better mileage than the XT. This is hard to get a fix on as XT mpg is all over the map on places like legacygt. The SI drive on the 07's may help.

The H6 is very smooth, quiet, tractable, and revs quickly. It is also heavier and more expensive. I'd suspect the LLBean has somewhat better resale value down the road.

I drive long distances on the highway and wanted an auto because of a lot of driving in heavy traffic as well. If you want to sprint around or get a manual, the XT's your bet. Price is only $500 difference MSRP and other equipment is about the same.

i bought an 05 xt limited OBW back in november of last year. i drove both and loved the turbo way more than the beaner. no one buys a soob for the gas mileage i'll tell ya whut. i get maybe 21mpg in the city and i only use 91 octane or better. lately since gas is "cheaper" i have been using sunoco 93 or 94 and the car freakin loves it and i love the car. seriously best car ive ever owned and id buy again. just waiting for those legacy sti wagons to come in from japan....dont want to see a 46k pricetag on it though. thats steep.

I've driven them both and I like the XT better. If I were to pull a trailer though, I would have to seriously consider the H6.

Unsurprisingly, people who bought an H6 like the H6 better and people who bought the turbo 4 like it better.

It might be more helpful to identify your driving patterns and why the XT was a better fit for you.

Well if you're concerned about differences in gas prices between different octanes, then just calculate the cost over how long you plan to keep the car, like if premium is 30 cents more per gallon than regular and you plan to keep the car 150,000 miles if you get 24 mpg then the cost is $1875 which is actually less than that because of inflation and you pay it over the time you have the car when you buy gas.