Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Welded the rear, WOW!

Phizinza

your figuring this out aren't you... stop! hahaha. I need to ring around to see what a FT4WD box costs around here... Pitty you can't find this sort of thing in local wreckers.

One thing I can say is my brother and I have a interesting plan on making a rear lockable diff out of a 3.7 open MY diff... More on that later. I might just go start pulling my old diff apart...

hey i was just wonderin... i dont know but.. couldnt gearoil residue flameup???

No it wont flame up if you clean the inside of the case. I used brake clean to get the oil out of the case and then pressure washed the inside of the case just to make sure the brake clean got rinsed out.

One thing people need to realize, have a set of rear diff seals to install after you weld it up. All that heat will melt the rubber on the seals and you'll be pissin gear oil out.

Now that its snowing up here, I need to get my welded diff installed on my car. heh, had it welded for over a month and have been too lazy to bolt it up...

The question then to ask is how do you get those bolts out on the stubs?? I had no luck and thats why the diff stayed in the case. As you can see I took the stub seals off and there wasn't much heat at the prop shaft end so I doubt I done any seal damage. It isn't leaking yet anyhow.

I've welded three diffs and never had a problem with the seals yet....

GD

heh, well the guy that welded mine up used 5 rods arc welding... arc seems to get A LOT hotter than mig welding. Granted he did use a lot of rod, but anyways, new seals are always a good idea.

heh, well the guy that welded mine up used 5 rods arc welding... arc seems to get A LOT hotter than mig welding. Granted he did use a lot of rod, but anyways, new seals are always a good idea.

Wow - that's a lot of rod, and yeah arc does get mighty hot. MIG is a lot more localized, and the sheilding gas provides better control. It gets hot, but not close to the seals. I agree it's a good idea always, but I'm cheap and none of mine were fried with a 220v Lincoln MIG....

GD

• 2 weeks later...

Well. After a week of having the welded diff in there we went to weld my brothers. But found mine was actually a 3.9 (front is a 3.7) So even though it off roaded good it had wrong diffs in it. So we put the welded 3.9 in my brothers car and welded a 3.7 for mine. All good now, and 3WD kinda works on the road. But it feels safer in 2WD .. I sure am missing my 4WD dirt road action.