Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5L 4EAT vs 2.2L 4EAT question

I am buying a 97 Outback that has a 2.5L with a 4EAT trans.

Both engine and trans may have issues.

I also may have the chance to pick up a similar year

2.2L with a 4EAT.

Assuming the rear diff ratios match,

will the 2.2L 4EAT work with the TCU from the 2.5L 4EAT,

as in plug and play, or will there be wiring issues?

The manual says the trannys are different

(atleast they have different fluid capacities, possibly only the Torq Conv is larger?)

I have used the search function with many different terms but can not

find an answer to this.

Thanks for any insight.

The way I understand it they used many different TCU part numbers to control the same trans. The difference was all in the shift behavior. The GT models shifted up later and down earlier than the outback models and so on and so forth. Also, I think I was told the main difference in the trans from 2.2 to 2.5 was the first gear ratio. They kept the 2.2 a little lower for better pull off the line. If you can get the part numbers off the trans you should be able to find out the exact differences from a dealer. The part number was on a sticker on the bell housing near the starter. The part number was TZ102Z2ABA on the one in my 96 Legacy GT Wagon.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
damn, that sucks, any place I can find out for sure?

i think the only way to find out for sure is to call the dealer parts dept. and give them the tranny part numbers. but even if the rear diffs aren't the same you can swap them as well. the standard when swapping trans. is to get the same year, make and model. or if not that then get the tcu and diff as well. you should be good.

so are you looking to put the 2.2 4eat into the 2.5 car? in theory (theory only) your car will have less torque but better mileage/speed.i think. less torque on a heavier car might make it slugish. but the difference may not be noticable. they say it isn't when you swap the motors.

They swap fine and internally they are the same, I have rebuilt both. The wiring would be the only difference.

Gotta be the torque converter where the fluid difference is and even those swap easily. Have yours rebuilt (TQ) while its out.

If you wanted to you could take the tailhousing and front differential off the donor car tranny and bolt the original to the car differential to the trans.

The 97 is a 1 year only trans but you can get around that with driveshaft change and minor external wiring changes.