Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Feels like axles are binding in 4WD

Okay, I have a '91 Loyale wagon, 5Spd, 4WD. When I'm in 2WD there is no problem. But when I'm in 4WD I notice that when I am going slow, and turn the wheels into a turn, it feels like the brakes are being applied, or the axles don't want to turn. If I'm rolling backwards, turning the steering wheel about 1/2 a turn, or more, is just like steping on the brakes. Once the front wheels are straight again, it rolls fine.

Any ideas? I'm about to do a MAJOR maintenance on this beast for the winter. Anything in particular I should look at for this problem?

Thanks,

Fat Tony -

Do not drive that Subie in 4WD on dry pavement. It simply isn't designed for that. I have my suspicions about why they designed it like that, something about turning in snowy conditions, but one of the tech-heads will come along and give a better explaintion why than I could.

PS. Congrats on the band. Bass Players Rule!!! One reason I love Subies so much is that they are PERFECT Band Wagons. While everyone else is getting rained or snowed on, fiddling with tarps and tie-downs, I've already packed my bass rig into Murphy, the $500 87 T-Wag, and am in 4WD, heading down the mountain on my way home. Should write a song about that.

it's true 4WD, just like a truck, so when it's engaged, the front wheels have to spin the same speed as the rear ones. if you're driving in a straight line, that isn't a problem, but if you're turning, it is. if the surface you're driving on can't slip, your tranny has to.

long story short, that binding feeling is VERY bad, and the entire reason why the car was designed with a 2WD setting.

But when I'm in 4WD I notice that when I am going slow, and turn the wheels into a turn, it feels like the brakes are being applied, or the axles don't want to turn.

Make sure all 4 tires are the same brand, size, and miles on them. If you start with 4 new tires and never rotate them, about half way through their usefull life, the front ones will be smaller enough to cause noticeable drag also.

Okay, I feel a little better. It does this in Dry or wet. Wasn't sure if it was "Normal". (Like this car is Normal!!!) I only put the 4WD on when it's raining hard, or snowing. Or when I venture off-road. (on purpose!) Then usually turn it off once it's up to speed. I'll go through the owners manual again.

Yeah, these are the ULTIMATE Bass Rig Haulers! The "Bandit-Wagon" holds a FULL stack, 2 basses, my Bog-0-Tricks, and either a Groupie or a Roadie. :banana:

Thanks for the responses,

Fat Tony -

The way I see it from my experience 4WD is fine on dirt or wet roads. Dry roads it's ok too. car parks... well thats something different. I have driven my car for well over 3000km in 4WD on tight bumpy windy roads including some car parking. Before I welded my rear diff I used to drive in 4WD except when turning really sharp (i.e. city cornering or carparking) I have felt no wear on any of the gearbox or CV's. Also the tires hold up too. And you can go much faster :brow:

I am not saying it won't break anything. It probably will after enough driving in 4WD. But I have the spares and I'd love to find out how much what ever the weak link can handle. Pitty how I'm stuck with FWD now.. Although my brother only drives his 83 wagon in 4WD (8yo light truck tires suck for tracion) And his had no problems yet. I will report back when something gives way.

Everyone says it will break. But so far no one has proven it to me.

I still suggest only driving in FWD. Not everyone is as happy as me to replace a gearbox/diff/axle...

The way I see it from my experience 4WD is fine on dirt or wet roads. Dry roads it's ok too. car parks... well thats something different. I have driven my car for well over 3000km in 4WD on tight bumpy windy roads including some car parking. Before I welded my rear diff I used to drive in 4WD except when turning really sharp (i.e. city cornering or carparking) I have felt no wear on any of the gearbox or CV's. Also the tires hold up too. And you can go much faster :brow:

I am not saying it won't break anything. It probably will after enough driving in 4WD. But I have the spares and I'd love to find out how much what ever the weak link can handle. Pitty how I'm stuck with FWD now.. Although my brother only drives his 83 wagon in 4WD (8yo light truck tires suck for tracion) And his had no problems yet. I will report back when something gives way.

Everyone says it will break. But so far no one has proven it to me.

I still suggest only driving in FWD. Not everyone is as happy as me to replace a gearbox/diff/axle...

Thanks for the input. What part of Australia are you in? I had the Pleasure of visiting Albany, Australia, back in 1985. I was with the US Navy at the time. We were supposed to go to Perth, but they needed a ship to go further south, and we were chosen. I loved it! We went chasing Roo's in a Land Rover! (Okay, we shot at a few:grin: ) I remember Swan Lager as well...

Cheers!

Fat Tony

+1 don't use it unless you have to. in rain it really won't do you much good, helps to blow through some large puddles at excessive speeds if you'd normally hyrdoplane...but if you're driving like that, be careful! 4WD helps and has better control if you start sliding, but hopefully you're not reaching break away speeds around turns.

read your owners manual before thinking about fixing thing that aren't broken.
morning bump for a good laugh! HEY LOOK is it bird, is it a plane, no it's GD earning his nickname!!

woo hoo!

I'm in South Australia.. In a smallish town a few km south of adelaide. Its a great place.. nice and quite, but still all the things you need within a few km's...

I don't know if its just me, but when I use 4WD on any surface it makes the whole car stiffer feeling. It turns way better (go around a corner at 130km/h vs FWD at 90km/h with the same feel tothe car. It is also good on dirt when you get it sideways, or if you under steer, just point straight and put your foot to the floor and she always comes out good (well not always, last time I tried it before welding the diff I ended up going straight into the bank of dirt on the edge of the corner, but it was still fun.)

Sorry if my sentances sound confusing and my spelling is bad, but it's 12:30AM... time for bed. Good night to all the subies and subie owners around the world. I'll go now before I sound like a crazy person, too late.