Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternator wiring ej22 in ea body

ShawnW

NOTE:

All I have is an XT6 book...

Basically there are 3 connections on the back of the alt, the 2 in the plug and the power feed.

Things to check.. the housing ground, its gotta be really good. basically checking the block ground since the alt is bolted to it.

Second, check for 12V at the plastic plug. As said the XT6 uses one side of the plug for the dash indicator light and the other side to excite the coil, but they are basically connected, one goes through the light the other does not(think light resistance) the pole is also connected to the same power, so just check voltage at all three points across the alt.

Last note.. my book reads:

LEAD WIRES BETWEEN AL TERMANIL B (the pole) AND BATTERY POSITIVE AND BETWEEN ALT TERMINAL L (the lamp wire in the plastic plug) AND THE BATTERY NEGATIVE MUST BE LESS THEN 2.5 M IN LENGHT AND GREATER THEAN 8 MM(2 squared) IN SECTIONAL AREA.

so maybe your battery power to alt wire is too long or too small.

If you imagine the 4 pin plug on the alt to be a person,

two parallel legs, 2 arms outstrectched then the wiring as i understand it is as follows:

right leg = (L) warning light, this will earth a warning light when not charging.

left arm = (S) sense, this should be connected to ign+ with as little resistance as possible, this provides a reference for the regulator to maintain correct output.

right arm = unused.

left leg = (I) = i dont know. But in the circuit diagram i have this is shown to be connected to (S) ign+as well.

I know my description is a little weird but for whats its worth.